Friday, February 26, 2010

The Singer Sewing Machine


Speckled with nicks and scratches from decades of trusty family service, the old Singer sewing machine was coming to live with me.

I can't remember a time when I didn't want the Singer. I grew up with it. Many were the nights I listened to its whir as Mama's hands guided exquisite fabrics across it. And seldom did a day go by that its hum didn't fill the house.

For hours Mama could be found hunched over the Singer, busying herself with cotton prints and small buttons; with satin ribbons and yards of lace. She whipped out dresses fit for a princess to wear. Nothing proved too difficult when it came to her three little girls.

Mama was not one for homemade-looking clothes or a mere, this-will-do outfit, either. She had imagination and energy—lots of energy. There were sailor dresses, ruffles, petticoats, jewel necklines, peter-pan collars, and wide, velvet sashes. She also possessed a flare for the unusual, for embroidered pockets, for appliqu├ęd collars, for exotic bordered prints.

It was not unusual for Mama to carry pen and paper to the expensive department stores. Contemplatively, she studied the complex outfits hanging in the window, tilting her head this way and that, drinking in the full view.

By the time we arrived home, she had a sketchy drawing, remarkably like the costly dress in the window. With grim determination splashed across her face, Mama carefully set out to fashion a dress of equal beauty and resplendence, often making her own pattern from an old newspaper.

Excellence was Mama's goal. She spent a lot of time measuring and marking, gathering and stitching, slowly bringing her creation to perfection.

Before long, her voice would call to me. Time for a fitting. I can still remember standing under her serious stare, inhaling the virgin cloth, her skillful hands tucking and pinning.

Mama's sewing ability appeared endless. Not only were we kids dressed flawlessly, so were our dolls. One Christmas, my sister and I received identical wardrobes for our ten-inch fashion dolls.

Created by my mother's clever hands, each tiny piece appeared magnificently stitched, a mirror of their creator's vivid imagination. There was a royal blue formal gown, high-waisted, complete with silver sequins and a white netting overskirt; a flannel housecoat, buttoning down the front; a bright red shift dress, with a ruffle along the tail.

My mouth gaped as I stared in wonder at the dainty garments nestled inside the white tissue. I was convinced Mama and the Singer could work miracles.

When I got the call that the Singer was not being used (she had finally bought a new one), I eagerly offered to take it. Not that I could sew a stitch, but if the Singer could work miracles for Mama, maybe there was hope for me.

When the machine arrived, a few days later, I felt downright weepy as I steadied it in front of the spare bedroom window, resisting the urge to hug it. I longed to hear its steady hum fill my home.

It wasn’t long before the Singer’s magic called to me. Without even meaning to, I found myself snatching up pieces of fabric whenever I saw a sale sign. I drug out old patterns and bought new ones. I was like a woman possessed. Not that it did me any good. My sewing abilities were unimpressive, at best.

I remember the first time I stood in front of my little daughter, a batch of straight pins hanging from my lips. Time for a fitting.

Hesitantly, I wrapped my humble creation around her small body, the fabric's pure scent rising to meet me. As I critically studied the simple cotton dress, I felt discouraged. "Well, it sure can't compare to anything of Nana's," I said.

Anna Marie patted my arm, carefully dodging the pins I wielded. "But Mama," she said, sweetly. "Even Nana had to start somewhere."

And so she did, as do we all.


Adapted from the book, Silver Linings (Pacific Press), by Dayle Allen Shockley. All rights reserved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Fridays, Cindy hosts a blog party called Show and Tell. You're all invited, so head on over.

15 comments:

  1. OH.MY.Goodness! What a captivating story...thank you so very much for sharing, it put my heart in my throat. Thank you so much for the sweet comment on my blog! If you go to my blog and search island, there are several posts about it. It's NOT done because my husband and I can't agree on the color..he he he!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your childhood experience was similar to mine. May times I fell asleep to the sound of my mom's power sewing machine motor. She didn't enjoy kitchen duties much but she lived behind that machine and, as with your mom, only elaborate perfection would do. She still has her machine and uses it occasionally.

    I sewed for my daughters and fudged through home decorating projects but my heart and ability is not in sewing.

    Such a sweet word of encouragement from your little one about starting somewhere.

    Kindly, ldh

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can't beat the quality of a Singer. I am sewing on one that is 42 years old and still humming. How special to have those memories of your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a nice story:) I don't know how to sew, I can cross stitch but I really really wish I could sew!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dayle, what a beautiful story!!!!! I'm sure that sewing machine holds so many memories for you! I was really touched by the image I got of you and your daughter. So sweet!!!!

    Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a sweet story, and it cracks me up because I am in the middle of a gifted singer saga. My grandma gave me hers, and with it, directions for a different model. I can't sew, but I'm trying, but I think it's broken, but maybe it's because I don't know what I'm doing and the directions are for a DIFFERENT MODEL! ACK!
    I was going to write about my sewing machine on my blog, but my story isn't quite sweet, more like frustrating, and I didn't want to hurt my grandma's feelings. I'll wait to blog about mine when I actually can get a stitch out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful story and childhood memories and how special now that you have the singer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great story, Dayle. It sure brought back memories, too. My maternal grandmother was always at her sewing machine. We always got flannel pjs, perfectly made, at Christmas and she never had a pattern! Enjoyed your post. Sincerely, Susan from writingstraightfromtheheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your story brought back memories of my mom, hemming my dresses.
    You have away of bring out what has been lost in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a pretty sewing machine you have. Such wonderful memories to go with it and share with you family. I enjoy reading your story and Thank you for sharing it with us.

    Willow

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sewing is so beyond my comprehension. I got a D in Home Ec!
    Hello. Texas Blogging Gal member here to let you know about a giveaway of my Snail Mail Notes. Notecards include Texas themes. You can see giveaway details at http://lonestarlifer.wordpress.com/2010/02/28/snail-mail-notes-giveaway/ and see my notes at www.snailmailnotes.com.

    LoneStarLifer
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a sweet family treasure...the machine *and* the memories!
    rene

    ReplyDelete
  13. nice story, I love the way you writing posts, beside that i agree about the quality of singer sewing machines.
    janome sewing machines

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful story about the sewing machine. I am so thankful also that your husband survived his accident. Your blog is very nice, I've become a follower.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle