Tuesday, May 25, 2010

God's Message in the Sky


One evening, feeling anxious and longing for solitude, I stepped out into a quiet October night and walked to the towering pine tree in my front yard. Slumping down onto the cool ground, I pulled my legs close for warmth. Overhead, the sky stretched wide like a dark blue umbrella, as sounds of the night swirled around me.

The past few months had been filled with unspeakable sadness. People I loved were in serious trouble. Many days found me unable to stop crying. Some days I found myself bargaining with God. If you’ll fix this, God, I’ll never ask for another thing.

But it appeared that the heavens were brass.

I’m not sure what I expected on this particular night, but as I sat there, an urgency consumed me. I had to know that God was still out there, listening. I felt I could not go on another day without some kind of sign.

Where are You, Lord? I said, my words coming out in desperate sobs. Please! I need to know you are with me, in all of this turmoil and grief. I need to know that you hear me. Can you hear me, God?

My frantic plea floated across the lawn and faded into the night as I waited, anxious for a sign. A bird singing. A wind-chime catching the breeze. Something indicating that God had heard me.

But there was only silence of the deepest kind.

With a heavy heart, I leaned back against the trunk of the pine and closed my eyes, letting the tears run down my face and onto the ground. I don’t remember how long I sat there, but I will never forget what happened next.

When I opened my eyes, there, suspended in the blue heavens directly in front of me, framed perfectly between the branches of a neighbor's tree, was what appeared to be the biggest diamond I have ever seen.

An enthusiastic observer of the heavenly bodies, I knew immediately that it was the magnificent Venus. I’d seen Venus many times before and it’s never failed to thrill me. Though it’s often called the morning and evening “star,” Venus is not a star at all. Venus is a planet—the most brilliant planet in the solar system; so brilliant it can often be seen in daylight hours.

Had I been sitting a foot to the left or to the right, I would have missed it altogether, but there it was—Venus, flickering and sparkling in a stunning display of colors. Its light entered my grief and took my breath away.

I knew it was God’s personal gift to me on this evening, because, for the first time, in a long time, I felt Him there, filling the vast space around me. And I sensed that He was reassuring one of his despondent children: I am here, dear child. Morning and evening, I will always be here.



***


A version of this story appears in the book, Chicken Soup for the Soul: Devotional Stories for Tough Times.


Photo of Venus, source unknown.



16 comments:

  1. Dayle - this is so beautiful. I too love the heavenly bodies - there is so much beauty in God's creation. A verse that come to mind is Amos 5:8 "He who made the Pleiades and Orion, and turns deep darkness into the morning and darkens the day into night, who calls for the waters of the sea and pours them out on the surface of the earth, the LORD is his name."

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so beautiful....I'm praying for you that whatever you're going through....He will show Himself over and over and over...Stay strong ok.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks be to God. As you love and care for others, you feel their pain and suffering. It weighs heavy on your heart. You carry your own burdens, too. But God is there... and He made himself real to you in that moment. Be at peace, dear one. He loves and cares for you so very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This gave me goosebumps...I LOVE when He touches us in some very personal way. Psalm 8:4 What is man that You are mindful of him, And the son of man that You visit him? I soo enjoy the way you write. Have a wonderful Sunday. BLESSINGS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful imagery...and truly moving.So many of us can identify with this...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we've all had those moments of deep, dark despair, Dayle. Then, God sends us a sign, like the lovely diamond in the sky, Venus. Very nice post. Sincerely, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Incredible sign from our incredible, faithful God. Love you, wombmate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful in every way. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. God is so good to us in so many different ways.
    Beautiful post thank-you,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  10. Incredibly beautiful--thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes we just need to be still and open our eyes to know that God never leaves us. Such a beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. lovely. lovely. when people I care about are surrounded by sadness and darkness, I often pray that God would give them eyes to see His involvement. He gave you those eyes that night.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, sadness and trust in His sovereignty come through so loudly in your writing. What a beautiful colliding of those two- thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful story, God in all His wonder!

    Thanks for sharing,
    Linda J

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was holding my breath as I read this post until I am here, dear child. Morning and evening, I will always be here. Then I could breathe again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. God is so good, great and mighty and never ceases to amaze us!! WOW!! Hope it's cooler there soon!!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle