Saturday, July 17, 2010

Need something? He's listening.

One weekend, my twin sister and I were set to go out of town. On Friday night, I got a call from her. She was desperate. For only the second time in her life, she had lost a contact lens. Said she'd been all over the bathroom (indeed, the entire house), but it was nowhere to be found. She knew it was there, but where? (You must understand that she and I are both practically blind without our contact lenses.)

In an effort to help, I drove over and proceeded to crawl around the place in slow-motion. Finally, after about an hour of finding nothing but some dust bunnies, we hugged each other, sighed a lot, and I left.

As I drove away, I said simply, "Lord, you are a God of the hopeless, and right now, Gayle is feeling pretty hopeless. You're a God of the impossible, and right now, it looks impossible, Lord, but with you all things are possible."

(Photo by Dayle)

Just then, I rounded a corner and was captivated by the black velvet sky, with a full moon suspended there on nothing. Since nobody was behind me, I stopped the car in the middle of the road and pointed upward. "Now, God,” I said, “if you put that fabulous moon in the sky, and I believe you did, then Gayle's contact lens must seem a drop in the bucket. Nothing is too small or too big for you to do, and I'm asking you to guide Gayle to her contact lens. Let her know where to look, Lord. And thank you. I believe it's done, in Jesus' Name."

I was turning into my driveway when my phone rang. Before I even saw who the caller was, I knew it was Gayle, and I knew she had found the contact lens, and that is precisely what had happened. She said after I left she felt an “urge” to flip over the bathroom rug, and even though we had combed the bathroom, and meticulously looked through the rug, when she flipped it over, the lens popped out onto the floor. Imagine that.

Now, I'm not saying it was only my prayer that brought this about (my sister was praying, as well), but I had all the faith in the world when praying, and I do believe that praying specific prayers moves God a lot faster than aimless ones. If you ask me to pray about something, I want to know the specific need. There are times when folks don’t want to share that information, and I respect that and pray anyway, but I always feel like it's an "aimless" prayer.

Yes, God knows our needs, but the Bible says we are to ask for what we need. So, go ahead; make His day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This post is part of the inspirational series, "Spiritual Sundays," hosted by Charlotte and Ginger.


15 comments:

  1. Faith in action. You reminded me of verses in James that I love. Asking and praying for one another.

    James 1:5 If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.

    James 5:16 - Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another glad story so sweetly written :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this! I had forgotten about that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. God cares about all our needs - no matter how small. Another great post, Dayle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Yahweh, in the morning you shall hear my voice. In the morning I will lay my requests before you, and will watch expectantly." Ps.5:3 World English Bible

    What a great answer to prayer and watching expectantly!

    Blessings,
    Linda J

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post. I've witnessed a few of these "miraculous" type things. I'm so glad you shared this with us. I've never worn contacts but both of our kids have worn them since they were 12 and 14. I know they can't imagine their lives without them. I think it is so neat that you and Gayle are twins. I always wished I had a sister (or a brother). A twin sister would have been fantastic. You are very blessed.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  7. Add me to the I LOVE THIS group. I believe with all my heart that God likes to "sweat our small stuff".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful post. I am going to be returning to the pulpit for the month of September. In my first message I intend to share some stories from my life like the one you shared today. Some tend to say,"That was just a coincidence, it would have happened anyway." We know different. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is the second post I read where someone posted a 'miracle' answer to prayer. PTL....I believe you prayed....He answered.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your story… A wonderful testimonial about Faith and Prayer.
    The power of Prayer is awesome!!
    Sweet Blessings,
    Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an awesome post! I too like to pray for specifics. I will be emailing you the next time I need prayers :)
    Blessings,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Dayle,
    I love this story...and I can really relate because I wear glasses and can't see without them...they actually broke when my husband and I went to the White House for a private 4th of July party....I couldn't believe it...BUT, luckily there was an eye glass place open on the holiday and I replaced them...wow, was I happy!

    I love your story about your prayer and about the moon...it is so powerful and personal and it really reflects how we pray so fervently when there is a pressing matter at hand....And you are so right that we are told to be specific in our prayers...

    Thank you for this beautiful story.
    Hugs and blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful God we serve who cares about the big situations as well as the not so big! I love your prayers and I know I always pray to find something and have YET to not find it!!! HE always leads me straight there !!! Some people think I am silly but NO WAY!! HE cares so much!

    Have a blessed weekend

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is the type of Faith that we all need to have. That's why I read it over and over. I need to remember to believe and know He will listen.
    I believe that God answered both of your prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful ~ I pray for the Lord to show me where something is a lot. I love taking pictures of the moon too. I saw the most beautiful sunset a couple of nights ago, and I did not have my camera! Blessings ~

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle