Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Unwrapping Rainbows

If you’re not familiar with Eva Cassidy, she was a brilliant musician and singer, with the voice of an angel. Sadly, she died in 1996, at the age of 33, after a three-year battle with cancer. Although she had performed in small venues, it wasn’t until after her death that her music was discovered by the world. “Somewhere Over The Rainbow” remains one of my favorites.

It seems fitting that Eva’s version of this moving song is the gift that I’m unwrapping today for Emily’s “Tuesdays Unwrapped,” because in the last few weeks, I’ve attended the funeral of a dear friend, and heard of the passing of a former associate and colleague. On top of that, there has been heartache of a personal kind lately. Sometimes, you just need a reminder that everything here is temporary. We’re just passing through, on our way to a much better place.


7 comments:

  1. Her voice is beautiful. Thank you for introducing me to her music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning, Dayle!

    I noticed an Eve Cassidy song on my daughters blog and was not familiar with her history.

    Israel Kamakawiwo has a lovely version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow as well. Sadly, his life was a short one too.

    I am most grateful that our eternal future will be a brighter one and the heartache we now experience will never again be.

    Wishing you a happy week, sweet blogging friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for sharing the song... hoping it brings you a bit of peace. i know all too well the pain of losing a friend... i'm so sorry that your heart is breaking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sat and listened to that beautiful, God-given voice and was thankful for visiting here today. That's one of my husband's favorite songs. I have heard it done many times, but no time any more beautiful that this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angelic voice. Hugs to you, my wombmate. No matter what, I'm in your corner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my ... this post truly was a gift unwrapped. I haven't heard Eva's music before and was truly blessed to hear her rendition of my very favorite song. Thank you SO much Dayle for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Dayle, I absolutely adore Eva's music. Just listened to it today, on the way home from Boston. She was magnificently talented. So glad her music, her gift to the world, is still blessing us. Susan

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle