Saturday, August 21, 2010

The Homeward Stretch


The Man and I are winding down an extensive road trip. It was billed as our 30th Anniversary Tour, and has almost reached 30 days in its entirety. How ironic is that? I've enjoyed sharing several "Postcards From The Road" posts with those who keep up with me. It’s truly been an amazing trip. We’ll have covered some 5,000 miles by the time we get home and experienced some once-in-a-lifetime moments; I couldn’t have wished for anything more.

While we’re blessed, and so thankful, to be able to enjoy this season of life, there are days, whenever we’ve been away this long, that I miss the sights, the smells, the familiarity of home.

And so we press on, in the homeward stretch of the journey.

There’ll be a rush of adrenaline in a day or two, turning down the street that’s been ours for 21 years. There’ll be precious loved ones to hug and share souvenirs with, and longtime neighbors to wave hello to in the yard. These are but a few of the joys in going home.

Can you imagine the joys that await us at the end of life’s earthly journey? I recall the lyrics to an old, old song my dear parents used to sing. The chorus said: "When I've gone the last mile of the way; I will rest at the close of the day; And I know there are joys that await me; When I've gone the last mile of the way."

I can hardly wait.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm happy to link up with Charlotte and Ginger today, for "Spiritual Sundays."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Project Simple Pleasures2

19 comments:

  1. what a great journey...30 years together...30 days on the road...love how you wrote this. It sounds like you guys had a great anniversary...one to remember

    ReplyDelete
  2. This "precious loved one" is praying for your safe return. No place like home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have enjoyed your special anniversary tour too (well, not as much as you have). It's been fun seeing lots of the places you have visited and the Postcards From The Road.

    I do know that feeling of returning home. :) Just a tiny glimpse of arriving at our ultimate destination!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post, Dayle, and I love the words to that old song. Happy homecoming to you and your special "man!"


    ~Jean

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dorothy said it best: "There is no place like home!" Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on 30 years of marriage! Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember that song. We used to sing it in church. I always liked it. I'm glad you got to make the wonderful journey and I know the best part of it will be going home. As they say, "There's no place like home." If coming home to our earthly home is so grand, just imagine how awesome it will be to arrive at our eternal home - indescribable.
    Thanks for sharing your experiences with us.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniversary and a very Happy Homecoming!
    Yes, what a day that will be when we take our final journey and see Jesus face to face!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on 30 years of marriage!
    May you be blessed with many more years together!
    Joy & Blessings,
    Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a cross-stitch pattern that says "The road home -- the most beautiful part of the journy." So true! Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this analogy re. our final Homecoming, Dayle.
    A relative "newbie" to your blog, I've just spent time going back ... back ... back -- delighting in your Anniversary Tour. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eye has not seen...neither has it entered into he hearts of man the things God has prepared for us.

    I'm so happy you've enjoyed the trip, yet it is always good to be home. Can you bring some cooler weather with you? It's hot here in Texas.

    Blessings and joy!
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Powerful,heart warming post. I too remember the words of that old song. Good words!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I never heard that song, but I love every word you wrote. I'm a homebody and love it when I return. I'm wishing you anniversary blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now, Dayle, did you really have to do that? Hot tears and big, big lump--I sang that so many times as a child, I couldn't count them. Yes, the end of the journey when we shall behold Him face to face--you gave me a glimpse of that glory in this post. Thank you and welcome home.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't recognize that song. I like it!

    Personally, I want to thank YOU for the postcards from the road. It has been fun stowing away with you on your Anniversary Tour, especially since Mackinak Island is a dream destination.

    In advance...
    Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How fun to go on such a long trip together...love the reminder of how we will feel when we go to our final destination....

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle