Friday, August 6, 2010

The Man Has A Plan ~ The Girl Can't Wait

Ok… I can’t hold it in any longer. I have never been more excited about celebrating an anniversary than I am this one. Our whole road trip was planned around where I wanted to go, which is why we’re so far from home and way up here in Michigan, in case anyone is wondering. (hehe)

When this subject came up many months ago—about where I’d like to go for our 30th—The Man and I talked about a number of options. I really, really wanted to go to Europe, and then we discussed Hawaii. But neither of us are enthusiastic flyers anymore. We hate the security now involved. Not to mention that you have to stuff all of your stuff into a couple of suitcases and hope it arrives at the destination the same time as you do.

So… after much back and forth, I decided I’d love to go to Mackinac Island (pronounced : / MAK-in-aw, for those not familiar with it). I’d heard a lot about it from people who had been there, and also read about it through the years. We talked about how far away from Texas it is, but, in the end, The Man agreed that being married for 30 years is a really big deal and gave a thumbs-up to the idea. He took it from there (The Man's a walking planner; what can I say?). I’m so excited I can hardly sleep at night!

According to the website, Mackinac Island is located in the straits of Mackinac, where the upper and lower peninsulas of Michigan meet, and it's a National Historic Landmark. You can read more about it by clicking on the link above, but in summary, cars are forbidden. Instead, visitors enjoy horse drawn carriages, trail riding, biking, hiking or walking. I can’t imagine such a place, but I’m anxious to discover it for myself.

Lord willing and the creek don't rise, we plan to arrive at the KOA in Mackinaw City on Saturday (tomorrow!). We’ll spend the night there, then leave Cloud Nine behind as we take the ferry over to Mackinac Island on Sunday (our actual anniversary), where we’ll stay at the lovely Grand Hotel. I know. I’m not a hotel kind of gal, but this one, I’ve got to see. I hope it’s all it’s cracked up to be. It features the world’s longest porch—660 feet! If you know me, you know my dream is to one day live in a house with a big porch (hehe) so I'll be in heaven sitting in one of the rockers lined up there. The Man says he just hopes we can find a couple of empty rockers, as Mackinac Island is the number one Michigan destination. We expect a crowd.

A few photos, taken from the website, are below. If it looks half as good in person, I’ll be a happy girl. I will be giving my cameras a good workout, that’s for sure.







YAY! Love this rule!
...

Well, sweet friends, that's my exciting weekend plans. If you can't tell, I'm as giddy as a kid in a candy store. I never dreamed I'd get to do this. Thankful to God for the opportunity. I wish you all were going to be there to meet us for dinner one night. Wouldn't that be a blast?

19 comments:

  1. Dayle,
    Congratulations on your 30 years of marriage and have a wonderful stay in the hotel on Mackinac Island. I would love to be in such a place where you get around the old fashioned way - your own two feet or horse-drawn conveyances!

    ~Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary. My husband is from MI and I know about the Grand Hotel because of the movie "Somewhere in Time." Such a picture perfect place to celebrate. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary! I have visited Mackinac Island. You will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I literally... LITERALLY have goose bumps right now. That is one of my dream destinations too! It's also one of my mother's. Funny... I fell in love with it at a distance when my family too OUR longest RVing trip back when I was a kid. We might have stayed at that same KOA for all I know because we came *close* but didn't venture to the Island with a carload of kids.

    When I saw "Somewhere in Time" years later, the longing to visit was crystallized. I actually bought the movie to vist vicariously when I want.

    I will definitely want to see pictures. Oh please do rock on that porch for me. Maybe for my 30th...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhhhhhh, can't wait to hear more! I just called my grandmother (who lives in MI) 3 days ago and said Guess What We are Coming to Visit. She's so excited and said she wants to go to Mackinac...so do tell. I want tips.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely gorgeous! For some reason it brings to mind the movie "Somewhere in Time" with Jane Seymour and Christopher Reeve. Enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dayle,
    You lucky girl. Now your talkin! I would love, love to see that old hotel and have dinner there. We need pictures, please!!! Have a great anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations and a very happy anniversary to you and your dear hubby!! Wishing you another 30!!

    When I was about 8 years old, our family took a trip to Mackinaw Island...and I still remember that trip. We rode bicycles built for two. And I have a charm of the Mackinaw Bridge on my charm bracelet (it looks like the Golden Gate Bridge).

    Enjoy every minute of your lovely weekend!!

    Blessings,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been enjoying your trip and all your "check-ins", but this next stop is going to be exciting! What a grand old place!
    Oh due tell all about it!
    Happy Anniversary to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy anniversary and it looks beautiful there. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I recently found your site and I've been really enjoying it! I hope you have a wonderful time on your trip - it sounds lovely! Wouldn't it be nice if there were more places that banned cars? I think a slower pace would make for happier people :) Happy 30th Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much, sweet friends, for your kind thoughts and wishes. I'm on energy overload right now, so excited!

    @ Southern Gal - The movie "Somewhere in Time" was filmed at the Grand Hotel, or so I'm told.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's me again. I must be losing my mind. I just dug my charm bracelet out of my jewelry box, and there is no such charm as the Mackinaw Bridge. I can visualize that charm, and it couldn't be the Golden Gate Bridge, as I've NEVER been to San Francisco. So, either I invented that charm in my mind, or I've lost it. I'll be interested to know if there really is such a bridge there.

    By the way, 2 issues of Victoria Magazine ago, they devoted a spread to Mackinaw Island. I'm sure you would enjoy reading the article.

    Blessings,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dayle - a friend's husband is from Northern Michigan. They visited there a couple of summers ago and went to Mackinac Island. Her photos were every bit as beautiful as what you saw on the web site. I'm sure you will have a lovely time and I wish you a happy anniversary.

    Hopeful heart wrote about the bridge - yes there is a Mackinac Bridge (not sure where it is in relation to the island, but if I remember the photos correctly, it is similar in construction to the Golden Gate bridge.

    Blessings,
    Joan

    PS - Can't wait to see your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I guess the cyber dogs ate my earlier comment, but as I commented yesterday (heehee) this place looks like paradise and you and Stan so deserve it. Marriage is tough, and I know y'all have been through a few storms. Celebrate with every ounce in your shrinking body that LOVE conquers ALL!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awww... now Gayle, my dear twin sis, you've gone and made me get all weepy. I love you!

    @ Hopeful Heart, yes, my friend, there is a bridge. You are not losing your mind. (hehe) We saw the bridge from a distance today. Plan to take the car in this evening and explore, then on to the island tomorrow.

    Thanks again for your lovely wishes. They mean a lot to this old gal.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, can't wait to see all the photos, Dayle. Congratulations to you and your forever love. What a momentous way to celebrate many years of marriage. So happy for you both. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations dear Dayle!! I can't wait to see pictures!

    LuLu♥

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh, that looks like the most spectacular hotel -- how romantic! I hope you are having a super time -- and happy 30th anniversary. Can't wait to hear about your trip -- pictures????

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle