Monday, August 2, 2010

~ Postcards From The Road ~ 30th Anniversary Tour, First Installment

Friday night found me and The Man in the lovely city of Nashville, a city we've been to before and always enjoy. The people of Nashville are still recovering from the devastating floods from earlier in the year.

We stayed at the beautiful KOA campgrounds, a place we love. They experienced 15-feet of water during the aforementioned floods. Recovery is still ongoing, but most of the grounds looked great.

Saturday morning, we spent time visiting with one of my lifelong friends, her husband, and their adorable grandson. I haven't seen Sissy in 10 years, but we never missed a beat.

 
 
True friends are few and far between. Sissy is one of the few.

Sunday was a great day, spent in Cincinnati, Ohio. Located just beyond the Kentucky state line, and right across the Ohio River, Cincinnati offers the river-town feel that I love and find reminiscent of some childhood days spent along the banks of the Mississippi, in Vicksburg ... 

... but back to Sunday.

One of The Man's retirement goals is to visit every Major League Baseball park in the United States. So far, we've racked up a good many of them. Sunday was our first time to visit Great American Ballpark, home of the Cincinnati Reds, and what a magnificent park it is, with views of the Ohio River everywhere you turn.








Following the game, the Christian band from Greenville, Texas, Mercy Me, performed in concert. It was an awesome experience!


...

After the festivites were over, we went in search of the highest vantage point in the city, and found it here, overlooking the Ohio River. I somehow managed to stabilize the camera on the roof of our little vehicle and beat the 10-second self-timer deadline. Loved the reflection created.

That's it for now. We'll be on the road again tomorrow.

Until next time, sweet friends, make the moments count. They're all we have.
 
 

12 comments:

  1. Dayle,
    I love your road trip pics. Your getting close to my part of the country! Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love traveling vicariously and look forward to more posts about your adventure. I also love that 10 years doesn't make a difference when visiting old friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this travel journal that you are sharing. As I read it, I remembered how my parents always dreamed of doing exactly what you're doing in their retirement years. Dad called it being "gypsies". He never made it to retirement. I SO VERY MUCH hope you are having the time of your lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fabulous time. My son (18) loves baseball and would like to do a trip like that himself one day.

    Have a super day,
    Patti ~ Fill My Cup with Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhhhhh, so happy you are having a wonderful time so far, Dayle. Looks like great fun. Take care and drive safely. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun you are having! Cherish friends like that! They are such a gift from the Lord!

    Mercy Me!! AWESOMENESS!!

    Enjoy the rest of your trip and praying traveling mercies :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dayle,
    What fab pictures from the stadium - love them! I also have friends that I have reconected with after many years. . .they are friends who knew me when...and that is what is so great about it!
    Enjoy your trip - looking forward to more of your adventures.

    ~Jean

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks like you all had a blast! i love that you support his passions and interests. what a fun thing to do together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for checking in! Great memories and great pictures to remember them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful and cherished postcards these are! This post reminds me of the song Friends are Friends forever if the Lord's the Lord of Them by Michael W Smith.

    Glad you had the chance to get to another ball park. Did you get the Cutest Couple Award cause I think you guys clearly deserve it! :)

    A few day ago I read your post about the wonderful anniversary surprise planned by your daughter and it completely warmed my heart! I wanted to comment and am now just getting the chance.

    Kindly, ldh

    ReplyDelete
  11. Friends with whom you can pick up where you left off - even a decade ago - are priceless. I'm seeing one of those this week, myself. Can't wait!

    I have every intention of getting in on Simple Pleasures - last week I was drowning in life and boys.

    Please, Dayle stop by tomorrow, I have something for you over at www.readygogetset.com!
    xo

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle