Monday, October 18, 2010

Monday Musings ~ Autumn Leaves Revisited


Last November, I posted a bit about Eva Cassidy, and I included the same link that I'm including here in that post. But, as I see it, Eva Cassidy is always worth a listen, and it is autumn, so bear with me. Who knows? This may become a yearly tradition.

If you’re not familiar with Eva Cassidy, she was a brilliant musician and singer, with the voice of an angel. Unfortunately, she died at the age of 33, after a three-year battle with cancer. Although she had performed in small venues, it wasn’t until after her death that her music was discovered by the world. Her rendition of “Autumn Leaves” is one of my favorites.

Below is a link (and the lyrics) to “Autumn Leaves,” performed live at the Blues Alley Club in Washington, D.C.

There’s just something about this song that does me in. Even if I didn’t have people to miss, the lyrics would have me believing I did. In my opinion, music such as this cannot be beat. It creates powerful emotions and images that linger for hours, sometimes days, and that’s the whole purpose of music.

If you have a minute, take a listen to this angelic voice.

AUTUMN LEAVES
Lyrics by Johnny Mercer
Music by Joseph Kosma


The falling leaves drift by my window;
The falling leaves of red and gold.
I see your lips, the summer kisses,
The sun-burned hands I used to hold.

Since you went away the days grow long,
And soon I’ll hear old winter’s song.
But I miss you most of all my darling
When autumn leaves start to fall.





~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You're invited to join me every Thursday for Simple Pleasures.


10 comments:

  1. I will check this song out later today when I have more time. Is she any relation to David Cassidy, by chance?

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was unaware of this lovely lady until I visited your blog. Thank you for sharing this link again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful song, music and lyrics. I'd never heard it before, I agree the voice of angel! So sad she died at such a young age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhhh, Dayle, I LOVE Eva Cassidy. I've hunted for many of her cds, found some, and hope to eventually locate all of them. What a gorgeous voice she had. It is definitely her legacy to the world. Thanks for the nice post on a wonderful talented lady. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dayle, I've listened to that beautiful voice before. Either I was lurking here before starting a blog, or *I think* Gayle might have shared her and her story before.

    I think "angelic" is the perfect word to describe her voice. Her rendition of this song was just simply beautiful.

    I'm a big Johnny Mercer fan. He was from Savannah. Did you know?

    Loved this, Dayle, and I was blessed to sit a few minutes and listen to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this, Dayle. I didn't know Eva Cassidy, and it was wonderful to listen to her :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not 10 seconds into her vocals, and I was one big goosebump!
    Now, THIS is music; thanks for sharing her gift with us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Her version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow is one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard. This is just about as amazing to me. She truly used her gift wisely and with love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dayle,
    I love her interpretation of this beautiful song. Her voice is, as you say, angelic. Sad that she left us so young.

    ~Jean
    P.S. Would love to see you on Microfiction Monday - it is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of my favorite songs of all time. My dad had an LP including this song by the Ray Conniff Singers and we listened to it all the time when we were kids. A beautiful, haunting song...thanks for turning me on to this rendition!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle