Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Taking A Drive ~ Simple Pleasures

Even though I've been to the West Coast before, the trips either occurred when I was a) very young, b) rushed for time, or c) tending to business instead of pleasure. Somehow, I missed the Pacific Ocean.

But not this time. This time, The Man and I got in my little CRV that we tow behind Cloud Nine and made a day of it, taking our sweet time rolling down the Pacific Coast Highway. It stretches far and wide, but we were only interested in seeing Malibu and the Pacific Ocean, and that's exactly what we did.

What a simple pleasure, taking this trip down one of America's most popular highways, sitting beside the man who has been driving me around for 31 years. I will never forget it.

Malibu was just as gorgeous as I had imagined.

We stopped often, to ooh and aah over the magnificent scenery around us. We waded ankle-deep into the very cold water, and came out wetter than expected. And, of course, we took lots of pictures. (I'm a blogger, don't you know!)

Just as I turned for this little self-portrait number (the camera perched precariously on the roof of the CRV), a gust of wind nearly snatched my hat right off my head. But ... I recovered quickly, managed a smile, and even captured a pelican in flight, and all in a fairly sharp focus. Woo-Hoo for the girl!

Have you done something lately that could be described as a simple pleasure? A trip? Dinner? A Movie? I want to hear about it here at the Simple Pleasures party, so please share. And if you do, please mingle a bit before leaving, or come back when you have some time. I promise  you'll be glad you did. This party is the highlight of my blogging week. Those who show up always amaze and intrigue me, and I'd be honored if you would join in.

Oh! And if you're new here, the guidelines can be found under the Simple Pleasures tab. I'd appreciate it if you read them before linking up. Alas, each week finds me sad about having to delete a few links, so please save us both some angst and take a look at what works for this party before jumping in. And thanks ... a whole big bunch. Now, who wants to be first?

What's your simple pleasure?




21 comments:

  1. Oh wow! What a trip. I would love to see the Pacific Ocean and do that drive down that Coastal Highway. You look to be having the time of your lives. Superb simple pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a wonderful time!

    Can't seem to link up at the moment, link seems to work but won't show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a dream day with so much blue, breeze, and beauty surrounding you. And, three cheers for the girl who serendipitously gets the photo of the week - though all and sundry seemed against her! Nice job - a framer, I think!
    Joy!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo-Hoo for the girl! is right... your trip looks perfect and you two are an adorable couple :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. In true Simple Pleasures form, you got it all in one clear, beautiful picture. Don't you just love when that happens?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dayle,
    I am so glad you are having such a great trip. Love the photo...you go girl!


    ~Jean

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this picture of you with your hand on your hat. So spontaneous and catching you in the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I LOVE this drive! We have great family memories of this with all four boys. I'm thinking this would be a fun empty nest thing to do now...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how pretty! We go to the Oregon Coast each summer and your pics make me wish it were June already. :) Kit

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you had a beautiful day with blue sky, and blue water. No rush is a great way to enjoy your trip, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love you hat snatching picture the best. Apparently, the CRV is a gifted photographer. Who knew? I'm so glad you are having fun. I would love to do what you and The Man are doing.

    Thought of you last night while watching the debates from the Reagan library!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's love YOUR hat snatching picture. UGH.

    ReplyDelete
  13. what an amazing trip and that water is bluer than blue. I love how you write about you and the man and your love for him....And that pic of the two of you....totally awesome. Keep enjoying......and stay safe out there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How lovely - what a wonderful trip to enjoy together! :)

    btw, I don't think your Linky is working? I tried last night and again this a.m. and it still won't take it?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful photos. The blues are so vivid! You look adorable in your hat!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad you are having a blast ~~enjoy ~~~
    also sorry that my linky on 18 didnt work if you could delete the 18 would be great .
    Thanks for having the party !!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh you can't beat the Pacific Coast! I'm used to Oregon section of it and love cruising the coastal highway and seeing all the grand vistas :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. WooHoo is right. Great shot! That's a beautiful coast.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great shot Dayle! lol!
    What a wonderful time you two must be having :-)
    Thanks again for Simple Pleasures!
    blessings..Trish

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a lovely photo!!!

    I've never been that far south, but our family has driven along the Pacific Coast highway from Astoria, Oregon, to just south of Redwoods National Park in California. It's definitely a beautiful drive.

    Blessings,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle