Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Bye Bye Wreath of Green ~ Hello Ripe Wheat

The lovely Kim at Savvy Southern Style hosts a blog party each Wednesday called, "Wow Us Wednesdays!" With all of the talent that shows up at this party every week, I think it's safe to say this post will not "wow" you, but I was kinda proud of myself for having finally changed my foyer color, after 22 years of the same 1990's "Wreath of Green."

The turning point came when my blogging friend, Debbie, posted a few weeks back about the hunter green in her dining room. I read that and it was a like a switch went off. I had been hemming and hawing about it long enough. Debbie motivated me to just get off the sofa and do it! (Don't you just love inspiring bloggers?)

I'm not very good with remembering to take those crucial close-up "before" shots, but you can see the lovely green below the chair rail, as well as the wallpaper border above it. Not totally hideous, but definitely time to go.

I have no photos of the process, but the first thing I did was steam off the wallpaper border, using a hand-steamer. It worked like a charm, so quick and easy that I was tempted to remove the wallpaper, too, but with no inspiration for what to do afterwards, I felt it best to leave well enough alone, at least for now.


Then it was time to assess the green situation. On closer inspection, I could tell a paint job, alone, was not going to do the trick for me. I wanted something more distinct, like beadboard.


So I drove down to my friendly Home Depot and wandered around. I settled on buying two sheets of MDF board that closely resembles beadboard. It comes in 4x8 sheets, and I had my hunky Home Depot handyman make the cuts for me.


The next step was getting it hung, which I did by using a product called "liquid nails." I could tell right away that the change was going to be significant.


Even unpainted, it almost felt like a new house to me. (Did I mention I'm easy to please?)


I went ahead with the initial plan to use the same color as my family room, which is "Ripe Wheat" by Behr, and I happen to love it.



It's a far cry from perfect, but since I've never been a perfectionist we get along just fine. Who knows? Maybe one of these days I'll find the inspiration needed to revive the rest of the foyer, but I'm not holding my breath. As one who lives by the rule, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, I can easily see this little update lasting another 22 years.






14 comments:

  1. I am wowed! You did a great job and it looks fantastic! Gorgeous color too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great! I'm going to have to check into that board. My laundry room, which is the room most people enter my house through, needs some of that! Paint over that wallpaper instead of taking it down. I did that in my kitchen and it's held up for years. Beats pulling down drywall with the paper...ask me how I know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely done!
    It's fun to see before and after pictures.
    I always think the before is great until I see the after. Always impresses me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Iam wowed too.It looks lovely I also love the color of the walls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Dayle, what a lovely change. Great job! It brightens everything up so much. Sincerely, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. The changes are great! I love beadboard!

    ReplyDelete
  7. UGH. Just lost my long rambling post.

    I really love it! I'm so glad to have a kindred soul out there who not only leaves the same color and style for decades like I do but leaves a SIMILAR color and style to boot.

    I thought about doing something jazzy under my chair rail but got lazy and expedient and just painted mine. I love bead board, and I don't have it a single place in this house.

    And I have to tell you that the table in your foyer is gorgeous and reminds me of my favorite treasure, a drop leaf table given to me by my grandmother (given to her by HER grandmother.)

    The whole foyer says Welcome.
    And it says it very "neutrally". That was my goal too, to be able to leave it a couple of decades. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it and I didn't know they made an mdf beadboard. Thanks for the tip. Greatjob too BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the change! The green gives me flashbacks to my mom's house in the 80's. Green carpet, wallpaper, green everything! I think you are wise to go neutral b/c it will never date itself. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle