Monday, October 10, 2011

Rainy Day Report


Yesterday was a day of rain, oh glory!

I had intended to rise early and attend church services with The Man, as we do most every Sunday whenever we’re in town, but that’s not what happened.

The problem started Saturday night when I found myself unable to go to sleep. Earlier that evening, the twin sister had come over and I made a pot of coffee. It seems one cup led to another and before I knew it, the pot was empty.

Normally, drinking coffee late doesn’t effect my sleep, but something kept me wide-eyed until 5:00 Sunday morning, at which time I finally dozed off and slept right through the alarm. I don’t even remember hitting the snooze button, but I must've hit it over and over, at least every ten minutes for an hour, as that’s how long it takes it to give up and stop going off.

Anyway, when I woke up, there was the wonderful, almost forgotten sound of rain outside the window.

Not a stormy rain, but a steady rain that makes me feel calm inside and pulls me toward the kitchen for comfort food.


So I made a pot of gumbo …


... and kept the candles burning all afternoon.

How was your weekend?



8 comments:

  1. OHHHH sounds heavenly!! Don't you love days like that?!!
    It is our Thanksgiving. All the children were home with their children! Had a wonderful Sunday too! (Now I need a days like yours to recuperate:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the gumbo like your mom makes? If so, please email the recipe to me.

    Love days like you had yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh your day sounds just wonderful, and the gumbo looks delicious... I just love days like this. I just read your previous post too. I LOVE it when the Lord does something like this. It made me want to read what you wrote too. : ) Have a wonderful week! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds wonderful except for the not sleeping part. What happens to sleep when we get older? I wish I had known when it was going to happen - not sleeping well- so I could have enjoyed the last few nights knowing they were the last. Sigh. Your gumbo looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how wonderful to have a day cooking while it's raining. I could smell your fabulous gumbo from here. Oh my, coffee late, it's a very awful night for me! That just started a few years ago! I can not have a cup of coffee or iced tea after 1:00! True and a bummer.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw that Texas had rain! I gave a praise of thanksgiving for you. I have been and will be continuing to pray for rain for Texas.

    And the coffee issue... I get that.
    And the gumbo in the pot made me want some too. I'm all about soups, stews, and such in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love to try my hand at gumbo. Share your recipe please and thank you???

    I think y'all had needed your lovely rain, hmm? Good for you. LOVE to sleep when it's raining. Especially in the RV!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rain.... wonderful rain.
    Your instinct to cuddle up with Gumbo and candle are perfect!
    Hope it was really enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle