Tuesday, October 11, 2011

What's in the cookie jar?


There's a story behind this cookie jar.

It's kinda long, but I'll try to make it short.

Back in May, I fell in love with this tiger oak antique bookcase while browsing at a local antique mall. (I blogged about it here: A Place for the Quilts)

To recap, for years, I had been looking for the perfect thing to hold the heirloom quilts in my collection. This passed the test with flying colors. I told The Man that I wanted/needed this piece desperately and, eventually, he said ok let's get it. (He can be really nice when he wants to be.)

We came home with the hutch and I was plumb giddy with excitement. The quilts fit perfectly; it looked exactly as I imagined. 

On the top, I placed a couple of old items that have been in my family a long time. The radio was purchased 25 years ago at a remnant shop in Mississippi, and the glass cookie jar was handed down from my great-grandmother.


And that's what this rambling post is about ... the cookie jar.

At first, it remained empty. I knew I wanted something sewing-related in it, but it didn't seem right for buttons (and I already had two antique mason jars full of buttons). So ... I went on a treasure hunt. I would know it when I saw it.

And a few months later, there it was. At another antique mall, in a booth filled with nothing but vintage sewing items and notions, I spied old crochet thread, and thread on wooden spools. Woo-Hoo!

The price was right, so I purchased a few things for the cookie jar ...


... and smiled all the way home.

Give me something old and I'm one happy girl.


Linking up with Marty's party, Table Top Tuesday and Sherry's Open House Party.




29 comments:

  1. Absolutely the sweetest cupboard! You have made it adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word the cupboard is absolutly delightful Dayle and and I love the quilts, too beautiful, but the cookie jar filled with cotton reels is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I have been meaning to blog about it, but life keeps getting in the way, BUT this is exactly what I've discovered to be the key to my own personal taste. I love things that have a meaning and story to them.

    This hits the spot perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,

    Love cookie jars and yours look great on that book cabinet you found.


    Gabriela

    ReplyDelete
  5. It couldn't be more perfect! The bookcase, the cookie jar, the quilts, the radio, the photos and the threads. A collection of true love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a GORGEOUS display of old loveliness! I, too, am smitten with old things...they have stories to tell! Thanks for sharing yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love what you did with the cookie jar.So quaint and cute.Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Im a new follower,maybe I will pic up some cute tips and try some writing someday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my I love the quilts. What a smart way to display them. And you certainly did find the perfect thing to place in the old cookie jar. My kind of old stuff!
    I'm shug and I stopped by from over at Marty's TTT.
    Blessings,
    Shug

    ReplyDelete
  10. Give me something old, too, girl, and I'll be VERY happy! The variety of spools are candy in the jar! Beautiful colors, too! Very fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How neat !!! Your hutch makes it look nice and cozy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well they both look wonderful. Love all those quilts!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A perfect solution, so colourful too. You are so lucky to have so many old family treasures around you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it, Dayle! I have an old jar that I've been looking for inspiration for exactly WHAT to fill it with. Snacks and candy would be nice, except I'd keep noshing...

    ReplyDelete
  15. This practically shouts, "Welcome home!" ... Don't you just smile when you pass by?
    Thanks for sharing the warmth, Dayle!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Adorable hutch for your lovely quilt collection.
    Ditto on the old stuff.....I'm in love with old too. Now I'm going to check out your camping story.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dayle,
    You found the perfect compliment to the quilt hutch AND the cookie jar. No wonder you smiled all the way home!


    ~Jean

    ReplyDelete
  18. love the cabinet & what a great colorful idea for the cookie jar!

    ReplyDelete
  19. p.s. The cookie jar. Why, EVERYTHING is in a cookie jar.. life's sustanance is in a cookie jar.. and not just with delicious cookies..as your photo plainly shows.
    (just wanted to through this thought in....) :)
    p.p.s. LOVE your name.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love it all, Dayle, but I am CRAZY about your quilt collection. You must share more about it. Have you posted about it? I would so love a collection like that.

    Thank you for stopping by with warm birthday wishes.
    Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks so much, blogging buds. You're the best.

    @ Marcia, Yes, I have posted about my family heirlooms, and some of my more current quilts, as well. I had a "quilt" link-up party last November and showcased a lot of them there. I'm adding the links below if you want to take a look.


    Airing of The Quilts Party

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dayle, it's so great to meet you!! Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a lovely comment about my apple pie. I'm glad it has led me to your blog. This cabinet filled with all of your precious, colorful quilts is gorgeous! What a great idea to store/display your quilts like this. It looks like you have a cozy home!

    I also love the scripture you have on your sidebar! :)
    Blessings,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  23. There is just something so comforting about "vintage".

    ReplyDelete
  24. You know I love this post! I always enjoy seeing your quilts. The cookie jar is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great post! I'm going to forward it to several of my quilting friends!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle