Thursday, November 17, 2011

Eggs on the ceiling can be a blessing


"Mom!” My daughter—then four—calls to me from her bedroom. Quickly, I place four eggs in a pot of water, turn the burner on high, and head down the hall.

In her room, Anna sits propped up on a pile of pillows, looking sleepy. Yellow sun stretches across the bed in long narrow strips. Nap time.

"What's up?" I ask her.

"You read me a story?"

"Okay, but just one; Mommy's boiling eggs for tuna fish.”

She nods. Together, we nestle down between the cool sheets and share the travails of Timothy Tiger and his terrible toothache. Halfway through the book, Anna's eyes droop, she yawns, slipping further down into the covers. In minutes, she's napping peacefully.

I lay the book aside and curl up next to her, eggs forgotten.

About an hour later, I am awakened by a putrid smell. In the kitchen, sitting atop a bright red burner, a dry pot smokes profusely. And, to my complete horror, the eggs are no longer in the pot but have exploded!

Everywhere I look pieces of sooty egg lay scattered about. There is egg on the floor; egg on the cabinets, egg on the ceiling, egg on the countertops. There is even egg in the adjacent room!  What an awful, disgusting mess!

Muttering, I reach for a broom and begin swiping at the splotches on the ceiling, then decide to crawl on top of the counter to get a better aim. It is while I work and moan that Anna rounds the corner, holding her nose.

"Yuck!  What’s that I smell?" she asks, then upon seeing me standing on the counter high above her, she gasps, "Mom, what on earf happened?"

With as little enthusiasm as possible, I relate the entire story ending with, "Just look at this mess!  I am just sick!” My voice rises with hysteria.

Her answer shocks me. "Well—you oughta be happy," she scolds, her little face solemn and stiff.

I glare down at her, speechless. Happy? Did she say happy?

"It coulda burned our house all down. Couldn't it, Mama?” she says, her brown eyes piercing mine like chocolate daggers. "And it coulda burned us up too!  Couldn't it, Mama? And that would make Daddy so sad. Wouldn't it, Mama?"

Climbing down from the counter, I set my broom aside and stoop down to put my arms around her, wondering how on earth I ever got along without such wisdom. Cupping her round face in my hands, her expression softens. "You are so right, my sweet angel," I say, feeling small and foolish. "You are one-hundred-percent right. I should be happy."

Backing up a step, she puts her hands on her hips. She isn’t done with me. "And you oughta tell God you're sorry for being so upset," she says, her little face stern again.

Quickly, I do as I am told. It is, after all, November, a time for giving thanks. And  this child of mine has just made me realize how blessed I am—even with burnt eggs all over the place.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


This story appears in the book, Whispers From Heaven (Pacific Press), by Dayle Allen Shockley. All rights reserved.








Linking up At The Picket Fence.
Sharing with Spiritual Sundays.



28 comments:

  1. From the mouths of babes. Children preach the best sermons! Love that picture of her. Precious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, so precious, that child of yours! Full of sweet wisdom, even as a little tot. And the story is so wonderfully told.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter did the same thing a few weeks ago. Egg pieces were everywhere and my poor pot. I guess I should also be thankful it was just eggs.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Out of the mouths of babes!
    Sometimes we just have to stop, right in our tracks and listen with our ears and heart.
    Aren't you glad you did? You would have missed this precious story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are so wise. All we have to do is listen. Love that you shared this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute,thanks for sharing this.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tis true that it is hard to be thankful in these moments but it is a sign of maturity that I hope I have gained a little of in all these years but I am still tested all the time. The kids and dogs make sure of this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful story, Dayle, and that picture included couldn't be more perfect! You weren't only blessed by what didn't happen, you were blessed by the reason that you were egged to begin with.

    I needed your daughter around here yesterday morning. Let's just say I let myself get a little egged on. And let's just say that I had one of those apologies to make.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a heart-warming ending, Dayle!

    I had to call my hubby over to see this ... on account he did the same thing a few months ago. 'Fessing up (by phone) at first I didn't believe him -- I never dreamt that eggs could explode!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awwwww, what an adorable story, Dayle. It brought tears to my eyes, too. That little Amanda was (and is) not only beautiful, she's smart, too. Great story and beautifully written. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww what a beautiful story. Yes we are all blessed with our children.

    http://www.thegirlieblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that picture of Anna. Those big brown eyes just grab my heart.

    Love the story. I can just see the look on your face when you saw what happened in the kitchen. If I'd been there, we'd have been on the floor laughing.

    Love,
    Sissy

    ReplyDelete
  13. So true!! I have been very aware of how much my kiddos are watching to see how I react to things (no pressure) and I truly feel that God has helped me grow in this area. There are problems and then there are PROBLEMS! And, I am trying to remember which is which so that my little ones will know how to keep an eternal perspective. Thanks so much for sharing this reminder with us at Inspiration Friday Dayle! :-)
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great story Dayle and I smiled b/c I've done the same thing and boy do exploded eggs really stink!!!! Happy thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this! Out of the mouth of babes. And she was so right. It could have been so much worse. Glad everything turned out okay. :) Kit

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are such a gifted writer! Loved it! Thanks for visiting my blog today and for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dayle - this is lovely. I love to read your "Anna" stories.

    Blessings and Happy Thanksgiving,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely beautiful -- and putrid, too! As a parent of a three and four year-old, I find a lot of truth in your post. God has a way of inviting the pure of heart -- and it's very often our children -- into our messes for a bit of perspective.

    Thank you for this perspective. It's memorable, well-written, and all over he place.

    But in a good way. A very good way.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How sweet! And look what a wonderful mommy you were, reading to her when she asked, and snuggling for a little nap yourself! It's funny to read this, because I used to fall asleep when boiling eggs, until the time I woke up to eggs on the ceiling and a putrid smell! That's when I learned to set a timer! :)
    Beautiful story, Dayle!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Priceless! Thank you. Happy Sunday!
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  21. Out of the mouth of babes certainly applies here. How did God make little children so wise? Thank you for sharing this story. The worst thing I ever did in the kitchen was let the beans burn dry and burn. That smell wasn't wonderful either, but it doesn't compare with your egg story. Thank you for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yes....... God, you sure do have a sense of hee-haw.... love it how He uses little voices to bring things back into perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I will cherish this story about you and your little gal. Indeed, we have soooooo much for which to be thankful. "Daddy would've been so sad..."

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, I just love this story! Would you consider linking this up my Link Party Giving Gratitude on A Mother Seeking...?
    This would be perfect!

    Meredith From A Mother Seeking Come find me on my blog, A Mother Seeking...

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love it, Dayle. Out of the mouth of babes. :)
    Wishing you and your loved ones a very blessed Thanksgiving.
    Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Adorable story for sure.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

    Jeannette

    ReplyDelete
  27. Awww, that is so sweet. Yes we are blessed, in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle