Wednesday, December 28, 2011

It's over ... we survived

Yesterday morning, as I tore off the calendar page from my little desk calendar, I could hardly believe how thin this thing has gotten. It seems only yesterday that I peeled off that very first page and marveled at how many pages were left—a whole year in front of me. But now … only three days left of 2011. I used to hear the old folks say that the older you get, the faster time moves. I’m there.


Well … Christmas is behind us. I, for one, am glad. The girl has been under the weather since the big day, but with The Man's help, I still managed to pull off hosting my side of the family at our place. The event was Christmas evening, which is extra fun because the lights twinkle brightest then.

The gals decided on a simple meal this year: gumbo. How’s that for simple? I’m not sure The Man will ever let me forget that he went without his beloved turkey and dressing and all of the trimmings (first time in 31 years), but maybe I will, in time, get to leave the doghouse. Geez!

I was too busy rushing about to get many photos (such is the life of the hostess), but what fun to hear the laughter and conversation flowing throw the rooms of my home. And, of course, Sugar Plum kept us entertained.

All that’s left is to dismantle the decorations, but as far as I can tell, there’s no rush to do that. Such is the joy of retirement.

Until next time, I'm ready to slow down and see what's around the bend. How about you?



7 comments:

  1. Time does go by more quickly now. It really does! We had a whirlwind couple of days that ended nicely. I'm ready to get the decroations down now before school starts back on Monday. Glad you're feeling better. (My daddy cooked frozen lasagnas for Christmas dinner. Ha!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love seeing the photos of your family and all of the bright and happy smiles! Happy New Year dear Dayle!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh definitely, Dayle. I'm ready to slow down and say come on in, 2012, I'm ready for ya.

    I'll probably start taking down decorations right after New Year's. Sad task but I like to get everything looking bare again (for awhile.)

    Take care and Happy New Year, dear Dayle. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am right there with you. Time whips by and moves on and another Christmas has come and gone. I see no rush to get those decs down either, haha. It does loom ahead though.. : ) 2012 here we come! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  5. In with the new! The best is yet to come!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you are feeling better.
    I understand about not taking pictures when you are hosting. It happens to me also.

    Looking forward to reading about your adventures in the coming year.
    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being ready to slow down is a perfect goal.

    Happy New Year Dayle!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle