Friday, January 13, 2012

The Latest from the Retirement Home

Another week is ending and yours truly has not blogged a single word. The reason is simple and true: I’ve been a busy bee.

For starters, I finally joined the 21st century and got a smart phone. Woo-Hoo! I was expecting to be poky slow learning this thing (I detest change), but I’ve surprised myself. For the most part, it’s been a breeze and I’m loving my new toy. I've spent a lot of time getting the hang of it, setting up this and that and a whole lot of the other. I think I'm ready to roll.

Let’s see … what else? Oh! I finally got Christmas dismantled and stored for another year. I admit to having a hard time saying goodbye to the pretty lights and décor that I love so much, but I do like the fresh slate that appears, once everything is put away.

I changed up my mantel a bit.

The cameras here are very special. The Yashica-12 on the right is one I picked up many years ago, back when my photography was earning me a little money (emphasis on little). It is a large format camera and I dearly loved the photos it produced. Such sharp images, unlike anything a smaller camera can do.

The old Kodak Pony 35 belonged to my ex-brother-in-law’s grandfather. It was given to me (by my ex-BIL) when I began my photography business back in the early 80’s. I've enjoyed it and I love the shape of the flash.

The photograph is one I took of the Golden Gate Bridge in August. I thought it would make a nice compliment to the cameras.

The English silver pitcher is something I shuffle around the house as the decorating spirit moves me. It’s so useful and lends a nice touch no matter where it lands. Here, it’s holding a clipping from my ivy plant. In order to accomplish this, without messing up the silver pitcher, I used an empty Folger’s coffee container, filled it with water, and placed the clippings inside. They will stay fresh like this, well, almost forever.

In between all of the above activity, I’ve kept sugar plum here and there, with pleasure, always.

I guess that’s it from the retirement home. The Man had the road atlas out the other day, so that means he is feeling the onset of spring already (as in Major League Baseball spring training). Lord willing, I expect we will hit the road come March. Florida, here we come. Nothing like planning ahead.

I’ve really missed you all, and I look forward to cruising through blogland very soon, seeing what you’ve been up to.

Until next time, sweet friends, blog on.



14 comments:

  1. Love those old cameras used for decor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dayle....

    I know how quickly time slips by. Isn't it amazing?

    Great shots of Sugar Plum. Have a splendid weekend. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Congrats on getting the phone. I have one, too, and love it, although I don't know HALF the things it can do! ha! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. That picture of the Golden Gate sure is nice. Foggy skies and all.

    OH, a new smart phone will surely make someone busy.

    http://www.thegirlieblog.com'

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! Love the title! It's going to be a fun year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do a lot of "shuffling" around my home too.
    You do have the hang of making a mantel look inviting.
    Glad you're back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've inspired me to work on my mantel. Spring training sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your new smart phone! Be prepared to get hooked really fast.

    Love what you've done with the mantle!

    What a cutie sugar plum is!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So it will be Florida this year? That will be fun. There's so much to do and see. If you get up above the border, honk the horn on the Love Mobile and wave like crazy.

    Your mantel looks great with the photography theme. I love to take pictures, but I can't go so far as to call them photographs. With a shiny red kodak, the best you can hope for is a picture.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Dayle nice to see you again.I have angels and some sweet birds on my mantel.

    Blessings for a lovely new week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A girl after my own heart cameras, and the golden gate bridge. I love both. I am glad to have found your blog and will be back often.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A smart phone? I still don't have one.

    I love the mantle and get so upset with myself when I see old cameras. I sold three at my parents' yard sale years ago. I won't tell you how much. I remember one being a Brownie and the other was one you looked down into the camera. Yes, I regret it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I love my smart phone; I think you are going to love yours. And I have a medium format camera I used to use that made me also a SMALL amount of money when I did portraits. I miss the crisp photos, and I think I am getting a new digital camera now so I can have that crispness again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, it sounds like you have been quite busy! I love what you did with your mantel.

    It's fun to change things up now and then. Oh, and Congrats on mastering new technology with the smart phone. Not always easy for me either. :)

    Speaking of change, I'm venturing out into new territory with a blog hop this Friday. If you get time, please join me over at

    findingtheinspiring.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle