Saturday, February 18, 2012

Considering Loss and Mercy and Faith



Saturday morning dawned gray and wet, a perfect day for staying in. The Man was on one couch, I on the other, both enjoying reading in the quiet of the room.

The book I had chosen deals with losses of the heart. I’ve read it before—years back when my twin sister went through an unwanted divorce—and found it to be the perfect companion during those weeks and months of anguish. After reading it, I gave it to my sister, and just recently ordered myself another copy.

I wanted to read the book again, because I find books take on different faces, depending on your perspective at the time. Not only that, there's always the chance of  discovering a rich nugget or two that I might have missed the first time around.

As I read about how God’s mercy sustains us through our deep losses, I was reminded that mercy is not a right—it is a gift, an unmerited gift. And even though God doesn’t always answer our prayers in the way we had hoped, He does grant us mercy along the way.

Some days may feel like there is no mercy, no hope, no love, but I know, from personal experience, that grief can consume you, and when its waves crash over you, it’s impossible to see anything but your grief. Oftentimes, it’s years later that we look back and actually see the mercies of God, and how they were manifested in our lives during the losses we experienced. That doesn’t mean that every story has a happy ending, but it does mean that we were, and are, the recipients of God's mercy.

Dear friend, are you facing a great loss in your life? Do you wonder how you will shuffle through one more day?

I’ve been there a few times myself. And I can assure you that the place of safety is, and always will be, resting in the merciful arms of God. Even when you don’t feel like He is there, He is there, holding you up. Even when people die and loved ones abandon you, when friends turn their backs, and all you can do is cry, it's good to know that God understands the language of tears perfectly.

Life on this earth was never meant to be without pain, and it can hurt in the deepest places. Sometimes (all the time, really), you have to walk by faith, not seeing, but believing that this too shall pass, that the clouds will lift, that there will be another sun-drenched day ahead, a day when you'll look back and see just how far you've come.

***

For as the heaven is high above the earth, so great is his mercy toward them that fear him (Psalm 103:11).

12 comments:

  1. God grants me mercy, because He loves me. I don't always see His mercy, but I trust that He is good, no matter what. What a beautiful post. I am sure it will encourage many!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Dayle,
    Thank you for sharing this post. Not always getting happy endings is something I need to accept, along with God's gift of Mercy and Grace.
    Needed to be reminded of this ...Thank you.
    I really love how I find wisdom to help me, through posts like yours Dayle, again thanks..
    God bless
    Barb from Australia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved your post, Dayle. It's true that the safest, best, and only place for us, in good times and in bad, is in the arms of the Lord. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dayle! Lovely post, as always. I'm never disappointed when I stop here. I just love your "collection" in the header picture....especially the old camera. And is that a flash bulb attachment?? Have a beautiful rest of the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Becky. To answer your question about the camera, yes, that is a flash bulb attachment. I wrote about the cameras in an earlier post back in January, if interested.

      Delete
  5. As most of us do as we journey through life, I have experienced great loss in my life. And I can testify that God brought me through. I read many books during a difficult (and prolonged) period and would had liked to know of the book you mention. I am going to look for it in our church resource center.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post is of the tried and true kind. What do people do who don't know our Counselor? The Prince of Peace? The Comforter has certainly been a Friend, tried and true.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite song is, What A Friend We Have In Jesus. Many many times that song has been a comfort to me when I have felt so alone. So often we long for friends to talk to when The One is truly the friend we need to talk to at the time. Loved your post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dayle,

    I am so happy you stopped by, leading me to your wonderful words. I am no stranger to loss and take comfort in knowing for those of us who believe, there is no goodbye. I invite you to read my posts: The Moment that Matters and Bearings. You have a new follower and friend.

    Deborah
    FairfieldHouseNJ.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know that passage where God says that inspired words can fall like rain on tender plants?

    Well, this post did just that.
    Thanks, Dayle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am feeling ;my way around about this blog. I always thought God’s arms were the safest place to be-until we lost our son, Joshua.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cindy, I am so sorry for your loss. I have friends who have lost a child and I can't imagine that kind of grief. I don't know how you go on. When my husband lost his father at a young age, after us praying and believing for a miracle, it was hard to understand. But suffering happens to us all and having the comfort of heaven's promise has sustained us. I highly recommend the book mentioned in this post. It is written in short increments, easy to read and filled with hope.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle