Monday, February 27, 2012

Thinking on Grace

This morning found me on the sofa, watching the daybreak. My spirits sagged over a certain something that I have no control over (you know how that goes, I’m sure). I had not slept all night. Despite spending time in prayer and study, the heaviness in my heart lingered.

I knew the day held responsibilities that needed my attention, so I made one final turn into the office to turn out lights and that’s when I opened up my trusty devotional book, Mrs. Charles E. Cowman’s Streams In The Desert 1, a book that has been my constant companion since 1999 when my sister gave it to me for Christmas. For 13 years, I’ve read it from cover to cover, but still find it fresh every year.

I opened it to Sunday’s passage and read this poem by Annie Johnson Flint:

His grace is great enough to meet the great things—
The crashing waves that overwhelm the soul,
The roaring winds that leave us stunned and breathless,
The sudden storms beyond our life’s control.

His grace is great enough to meet the small things—
The little pin-prick troubles that annoy,
The insect worries, buzzing and persistent,
The squeaking wheels that grate upon our joy.


As the sounds of morning filled up the streets outside, I laid down with a peaceful mind. His grace is sufficient. It always has been and always will be.

***

Happily linking up to a lovely new blog party (Think on these things), hosted by one of my favorite bloggers, Lorraine. If you looked up the definition of “beautiful,” you’d find Lorraine’s picture there. And even though we’ve never met in person, I know she is as beautiful inside as outside. If you have time, click on over and say hey.

13 comments:

  1. Streams in the Desert came into my hands a few years back when we were going through, perhaps our most difficult (and longest)time ever. I read every book I could find on topics such as, when God doesn't make sense, when God is silent, disappointment with God (Thank you, Phillip Yancey)to help me hang on. The little Streams book was a jewel that John and I read together.

    God has proved Himself to be faithful and grew our faith in Him as we continue to trust Him.

    Thank you for sharing in my link-up! I really appreciate it. Prayers for you, Dear Friend as you rest in Him concerning things out of our control.

    I am totally humbled by your kind words. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. Loved it, Dale. And the photo was gorgeous, too. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have saved your post from the Dec.29th, called "Some Years". You talk about the storms that we will face.
    "No matter who you are, or what your name is, you aren’t exempt from storms. If you haven’t experienced one yet, you will. And how you get through storms—other than leaning on One bigger than yourself—is something you have to figure out on your own."

    Your words have encouraged me, many times. Today is no exception.
    Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I honestly don't know which of the two stanzas speaks to me more, Dayle. Right at this moment, it's those insect worries and squeaking wheels I guess. I really needed to read this morning that the grace greater than the wave is greater than the insect too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a great book, I will look for it. The poem was just soo perfect and true. God's grace IS always sufficient! AMEN!! Praying for you as you go through this season of things out of your control! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have met Lorraine. I know, lucky, lucky me! She and John, her sweet husband, are even nicer in person. We had a wonderful visit in New York.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So true, Dayle. I go to Charles Spurgeon's Morning and Evening devotionals and have for years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful thought! His grace is sufficient. Thanks for sharing this today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Dayle,
    Happy for you that you were given the grace of a quiet heart.God Bless
    Barb from Australia

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm praying that tonight will bring the sleep of peace, and trust, and totally laying at the foot of the cross whatever it is that's trying to steal those things from you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Without the assurance of His grace, I don't know if I could get out of bed in the morning...much less sleep. Words to cling to.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm visiting from Lorraine's blog....one of my very favorite bloggers as well!
    Thank you for sharing that beautiful poem. Too often I want to take care of those "pin-prick troubles" on my own...I appreciate the reminder that He takes care of the little stuff too.
    You have a lovely blog and I'm so glad I was led to it. Have a joy-filled day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I, too, have found much comfort and guidance from Streams in the Desert. Like you, I have read it many times, and each time the words from those writers of days gone by inspire and encourage me. I love Annie Johnson Flint's poems, also; they are always so down-to-earth yet take me to "higher ground."

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle