Friday, March 2, 2012

Going, Going, (Almost) Gone

Here it is Friday already. The girl has been one busy bee this week, which is why I’ve not posted a single syllable since Monday.

With spring around the corner, the retirees have crawled out of hibernation and are preparing for a road trip. Now you know what I’ve been doing—getting Cloud Nine loaded with a lot more stuff than necessary. (Is there an Over-Packers Anonymous group nearby?)

So, where are we going this time? If you’ve kept up with me and The Man much at all, you’ve probably already guessed that baseball has something to do with the trip, and you would be right. Major League Baseball’s spring training, don’t you know!

Come Monday, Lord willing and the creek don’t rise, we’re headed to Florida, and the first stop planned is Destin, which has nothing whatsoever to do with baseball, and everything to do with making the girl happy. I’m afraid the weather will be a lot cooler than I’d hoped, but the beauty of Destin is not limited by temperature. (The photo is from when we were there in October, 2009.)

But back to the baseball thing ….

Last time we were in Florida for spring training, we were in Kissimmee, mainly to see the Astros, but we’re passing them by this time and going to Tampa. It will be our base while venturing out to see a number of teams play in and around that area. I know I sound like a pro, but, trust me, I’m only repeating what The Man has told me, as he is the baseball king and trip-planner around here, and a mighty good one at that, so I may have gotten something wrong, but I’ll straighten it out later.

Eventually—and I think I’ve got this much correct—we will be in Miami for Major League Baseball’s 2012 opening day, watching the Florida Marlins play at Marlins Park, and checking off one more of those ballparks The Man has set out to see while we’re still able to get up and down the steps (at least on a good day).

Following that, we will head back up to Tampa and take in a Tampa Bay Rays season game, at Tropicana Field. (That ballpark list is shrinking, shrinking, shrinking.)

There are lots of places and things in between the above (and, of course, beach time), but I'll share all of that later. 

I must sign off for now. Still lots to do, people to see, places to be ... and more to load.

And I’m still trying to figure out how I’m going to go two months without seeing and kissing my sweet sugar plum. I can’t let myself think about it long. I foresee lots of phone calls and maybe that Skype thing, or something similar. I sure hope she doesn’t forget me.

Until next time, sweet friends, press on!


The sea that calls all things unto her calls me, and I must embark. ~ Kahlil Gibran


***






14 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you! The weather has been fabulous here and I know you'll enjoy your stay! I love traveling...love to pack and see the sights along the way! Enjoy your trip! God speed! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh ENJOY every minute...sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a wonderful, refreshing, relaxing trip!! I just scrolled down and read your Monday post, reminding me to get out my copy of Streams in the Desert devotional. It has to be the best one around and I'm needing it again and again and again......I have just about everything in it underlined I think.
    Thanks for stopping by, Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fantastic road trip! I for one will be dropping in more often for updates. I hope you both have a wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're always missed in the neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Be sure to write!

    I love how you take us along for the ride. As for your Sugar Plum, send her things in the mail (pictures, postcards etc.) She will look forward to getting them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hello fellow baseball fans! we are spring training fans of Mesa,Az for the CUBS! except i think our traveling days have come to an end...my husband has more difficulty walking now and doesn't do stairs! so i know what you're talking about! he's gone to Mesa for over 15 yrs...i went for 3 after i retired. have a great trip!
    GO CUBS! ^)^linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remembered that sunny Florida was the destin-ation (get it?) this time! I think a Cloud 9 road trip is just the perfect idea. Now, as for Sweet Pea, have you considered a very large trunk...?

    Just don't say you heard it from me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awwwww, Dayle. Godspeed, my friend. It will be a most wonderful trip. Keep us posted (with posts) from time to time. Godspeed. Susan

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle