Saturday, March 24, 2012

An Ocean View Refreshes


I’ll get to this lovely photo of the Atlantic Ocean momentarily, but I'm just gonna be honest here. I’ve had a bad case of the blahs lately. Yes, I’m here to tell you it’s possible to be on a long holiday and still get the blahs. Being a normally cheerful person, who sees the bright side more than not, it is very irritating to me whenever I come down with a case of the blahs. I mean ... seriously?

I will admit that I’ve been more homesick on this trip than I have any other trip in recent history. That’s part of it. But the other part has to do with being in the Sunshine State and having been to the beach one, little, bitty time, and that was way back in Destin and, to be honest, it was a bit chilly that day so I can’t really call it a “beach day.” I've been bummed out about it, and I suppose that helped lead me to the state of blah.

That’s not to say we haven’t tried to go to the beach since leaving Destin, but it’s Spring Break. Need I say more? Probably not, but I will. The times we have attempted to go, we discovered 10,000 other people had the same idea and, quite frankly, that’s not the kind of experience I want to have whenever I go to the beach.

So … I’ve been missing out on the only reason I really care to come to Florida.

Until this evening …


To catch you up, since the blahs left me with no desire to blog, we are now on the Atlantic side of Florida, spending a few days in the beautiful Port St. Lucie. Truth be told, we are really here to attend a spring training baseball game (it’s part of The Man’s agenda), but since we couldn’t get tickets to today’s game, I did laundry instead. Oh, joy!

Now back to this evening …


Just before sunset, with laundry folded and put away, we took off to find the Atlantic Ocean, and that’s just what happened. And the best part, it was pretty much deserted—just the way I like it.


As far as I could see, in both directions, nothing but the ocean, doing what it does, year in and year out.



And, oh my goodness … I’m a collector of seashells, and have been to dozens of beaches, but I’ve never seen seashells in such quantities in my life! It went on and on and on.


As we strolled along the water’s edge, I felt it again—that certain stirring of the soul, the shedding of burdens, the refreshing of spirit, the calming that comes whenever I visit the seashore. For me, there's nothing like it in all the world.



Before leaving, we paused for a photo, and then I said out loud, “I feel whole again. This"—I opened my arms in a great circle. "This is just what I needed.”


We turned to go and, I declare, it seemed the heavens were cheering me on (would you look at that). And, I didn’t hear him, but I’m fairly certain that under his breath The Man was shouting, “Hallelujah!”

There's more to share and more to show, but that's it for this time. Thanks for taking this journey with me.

Until next time, sweet friends, press on.



22 comments:

  1. These pictures are incredible! The colors! Wow. I'm glad you're "whole" again. Onward!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The photos can't even do it justice; Stan and I both agreed with that. The colors took my breath away. There's just no match for God's artwork. Wish you were here!!

      Delete
  2. Lovely photos. I prefer the beach fairly deserted, too. Sometimes you just have to get what you really need/want to feel better, no matter how simple it is. The shell selection looks fabulous. I love collecting shells, too, and have a bunch from all over. Enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what fabulous pictures!!! i would love to be there now!!
    and those shells..oh my goodness what a collection!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sky seems to be erupting in a big cheer for you!
    I love to beach comb, and there are lots of empty beaches up here, even at the height of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, the sea. I, too, was refreshedrecently by God's glorious creation of color, creatures and crests (Hawaii!). Mmm! Know this experience well!

    Have fun! HALLELUJAH!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pictures are gorgeous. I'm so happy you're feeling better. One of these days I'm gonna get to a beach somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my favorite sayings is, "I go to the Sea to BREATH".
    The only thing missing from your photos is the smell.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super yay! I am so glad you found your beach and oh my, the shells! I have never seen such bounty. Did you get some to remember your spectacular evening? Glad you are feeling better! Kit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes ... got a bag full. Going back today, Lord willing, for more and some sand. I collect sand and seashells. HA!

      Delete
  9. I have that same connection with the ocean. So glad I live semi-close to the seashore. Our shell assortment doesn't come close to that. Have fun collecting. And, yes, the heavens were cheering!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sure you have been told many times that you have a way with words and even having the blah's couldn't subdue you. This is a lovely post with a triumph of joy at the end. Do you think God painted that sky at that moment just for you and Stan... me too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We normally get to go to the beach once a year, however with our move and remodel last year... we did not go. Our summer trip is already planned and we are all looking forward to visiting God's beautiful creation! Thank you for sharing your visit and photos, brought a smile to my face and heart! I pray that your home sickness and blah's will disappear and that the rest of your journey will be full of God moments.
    dee dee

    ReplyDelete
  12. What amazing photos! I am not much of a beach person. I am okay sitting on the beach, under an umbrella, looking at the water. Oh, and I do like to walk barefoot on the sand! I hope you have a spectacular rest of your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Dayle...So happy you got some quiet and alone time at the seashore. Your photos are truly lovely...that sunset shot is FABULOUS.Thanks for sharing and send those blahs a-packing. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dayle,
    Being at the shore in the evening with almost no one else around, I too, have had that "oh yes" moment. Two years ago we went to the beach just as the sun was setting for a family photo shoot. It was so much fun and the pictures were wonderful! I'm glad your visit shoo'd those blahs away!

    ~Jean

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad you had that beach experience. That's the exact kind I long for. We're coming up on spring break. Of course, the boys want to go to the beach but I hate going when you can't even find a spot to sit. Our best times have been just driving down the coastline and stopping. Hope we get to do that!
    Enjoy the moments!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Dayle...thanks for the nice comment about my daughter Lynnette's book. We are all excited about it, and hoping that many people who need encouragement will read it and be blessed!

    I love the beach too...and since I am a Southern Calif. girl, I really do miss it now that I have lived in Kansas for over 30 years! But I do enjoy my visits to the ocean.

    Wow!...That is a lot of shells! I don't believe I have ever seen that many all together like that! I love seashells and sand too. I love walking in the sand and the water...but I don't swim in the ocean. My favorite thing is to watch it, and to think of God's power. And I love to listen to the waves crashing. And I enjoy the smell of it too. Our God is an awesome God! I love His Creation!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know what you mean about crowds at the beach during Spring break. Good thing that you found a peaceful beach to breathe in all the salt air. I feel the same way when I walk on a beach. I feel more alive and de-stressed. It's a wonderful place to unwind. Thanks so much for stopping by and visiting me too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know exactly how you feel when on the beach ... I, too, am made whole/complete. In fact, when I first dig my toes into the sand on each trip to the beach, I can literally feel the stresses/burdens lift.

    I just LOVE that last photo! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. looks like you're having a great trip! i'm guessing the sunshine state is florida. we have a sunshine state in australia - queensland. florida seems to have an amazing amount of shells. your photos are beautiful!
    thanks for visiting my blog.
    cheryl x

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle