Friday, March 9, 2012

A Sweet Problem

Well, the retirees have arrived at our second destination spot—Tampa—and already, I have a mighty big problem.

It started before we left Destin. Wednesday evening, we ventured out to one of our favorite little places there, The Donut Hole. Don’t let the name fool you. They serve a lot more than donuts. Great food, great coffee, and breakfast all day. I ordered a Gulf Coast omelet (shrimp included), which was just the protein I needed, and it was lip-smacking good.

But then, I got up and walked to the counter (at The Man’s request) to see what kinds of pies they had for the evening and that’s when I looked to my left and saw the bin holding white powdered Bavarian cream donuts, my very favorite donut in all the world.


(Google Search Image)

I hemmed and hawed and named all the reasons I didn’t need this load of carbs and calories, but, in the end, my sweet tooth took over and I ended up with confectioner’s sugar all over my clothes.

I promised to repent and start fresh the next day.

And I did just that, until we stopped for dinner at Cracker Barrel.

I saw this beauty on the dessert menu—a new promotion consisting of two sugared biscuits, with layers of vanilla bean ice-cream, fresh strawberries, and whipped cream on top—and that was the end of Miss Goody Two Shoes. After all, I reasoned, we'd been on the road all day; I was plumb tired and I deserved this, didn't I?

And The Man sort of egged me on, promising to help me eat it, and thank the good Lord, because this baby, as you can see, is huge! Needless to say it was another night of repenting.

Then today, after we got settled in at the campground, we struck out for the grocery store. Diesel was with us, so The Man said he’d go in and I could stay with the car.

When he returned, he said, “I’ve got a surprise for you in one of the bags,” and did he ever!

Yep, that’s a strawberry-kiwi cream pie. It was on sale.

Coffee anyone?

Until next time, sweet friends, press on! Even when you mess up, try again tomorrow, just as I plan to do.



19 comments:

  1. Hey, I'm coming by-where are ya'll. Save a piece for me. That's my kind of traveling. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll take two sugars and one slice of pie please!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just think of all those women on the Titanic who said,
    "No, thank you" to dessert.
    Erma Bombeck, God rest her soul.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought I just completed FOUR wonderful oatmeal raisin cookies until I saw the photos in your post!

    John and I are in a a hospital room with our daughter Jamie. She has been readmitted for preclamsia (very high bp) Happily her newborn is allowed to come in and stay with her.

    I had the very same situation when I delivered our last child. It was scary but the BP finally went down a couple months later.



    Josh is home caring for the other five kiddos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry to hear about your daughter. She will be in my prayers.

      Delete
  5. I used to have much will power. Where did it go? I think it fades with age or something. You enjoy yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh MAN ALIVE, Dayle. What yummy desserts. Oooooooooo. That would be disastrous for me. D-i-s-a-s-t-r-o-u-s. But wowswers, they sure look fab. Strawberry kiwi pie? never ever heard of it but boy, would I love to tear into that baby. Have a "sweet" Saturday. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, those are too tempting. I think I should carry a picture in my purse of someone's successful before and after pictures (as in a successful diet and not a before and after eating something luscious lol!) and maybe it would help motivate me .....hmmm, ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL!! You are a lady after my own heart! Oh my, they look so good. I will have to go by Cracker Barrel and partake of that shortcake. Have a great weekend! Kit

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my...I don't know which one looks more tempting! I KNOW I would have joined you....Haven't been to a Cracker Barrel in just ages but I do remember their desserts are just to die for. ENJOY your time! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  10. Go ahead and enjoy yourself! You can walk in the evenings. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the Donut Hole in Destin. They have the best key lime pies of anywhere! Calories don't count on vacation.
    xo, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you keep that up, you'll need a new wardrobe when you get back...maybe before then. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. If you come through Venice we should get together :)
    mary{dot}hastings@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my! You are getting into lots of trouble along the way! heehee! But it looks very SWEET! Have fun! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am glad i wasn't there!! who could resist?! perfect pictures of perfect desserts...lucky you!!
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.
    have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I have such a sweet tooth love desserts. Just found your lovely blog through another friend so nice to meet you I'm now following you so we can keep in touch. I do hope you have a great week.

    Always Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think I will rename your title to "My Dream Come True" or
    "Pinch Me, Am I In Heaven?"!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle