Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Gliding in the Garden

It’s safe to say the backyard is evolving.

For starters, I am now the proud owner of a glider. Have you ever? I wanted a swing, and may still get one, but—for now—I’m happily gliding along.


It’s the perfect spot for coffee, for snacking, for chatting, for praying.

In Southeast Texas,  you have to be vigilant when it comes to mosquitoes. And no matter how much you spray your yard with the right stuff, some still have the nerve to meander out, day and night. I bought two citronella lanterns to help ward them off. This one hangs right next to the glider.

This adorable angel girl is another new addition. She holds a butterfly in her hand and I bought her to use as a tombstone for our precious collie, Princess, who was buried right here in this spot of the yard in 2003. Up until now, her grave was marked with a plain concrete block that had her name printed on it, but I wanted something, well, prettier. It’s taken me this long to find the perfect thing.

A few yellow coreopsis plants have been added to the side of the garage. They remain in pots, for now, and are doing well.

My lantana finally took on a growing spurt. I was afraid I would lose it at first, but it seems to have made a turn for the better. Gardening is all about trial and error, about hoping, and waiting.

This was my first year to plant a rose bush. It came loaded with blooms and after the final bloom faded I was worried I might not see any new growth. But would you look at that? A bud has started to form!

My Lily-of-the-Nile is showing new growth, as well. Such things make the gardeners heart skip a beat.


It is one of my favorite plants.

On the back patio, the fern is thriving. It had been doing well inside for the past year, but I thought it would do it good to be outdoors in the shade for awhile. With so much new growth, it seems to agree.

And the impatiens in the bucket are looking magnificent and have not stopped growing. I can't look at them without smiling.

Butterflies are out in record number. Their favorite landing place is the blue plumbago.


And I haven't even mentioned the double-color tropical hibiscus I planted in the front yard. Would you just look at the beauty it has been yielding?

With summer upon us (and our temps here already in the high 90's some days), I don't know how long I can keep my little garden flourishing. But I don't dwell on that; I simply enjoy it for what it is offering today.

Until next time, sweet friends, press on.

***


14 comments:

  1. I'm still willing to pay you to come do my yard!

    My daddy used to dig up a tree in the woods that had flowers that looked just like those double colored hibiscus trees and plant them in our yard. We had no idea what they were, but my mama didn't like them. Imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a peaceful retreat.
    Your new additions are perfect, especially the citronella lanterns.
    I can picture you glidding and reading.
    Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful place to spend some time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find a glider so much more relaxing than a swing - good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures, sister girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden is looking beautiful. I am glad you found the perfect thing to mark your fur baby's resting spot.

    I want a glider. I have a swing but I want a glider...lol...There is one that I have my eye on the back folds down and makes a gliding cot! oh...my...I DO think I need one of those- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it so much. I have the same motto of just enjoying color while I can and not worrying about weather the heat (or cold earlier in the year) is going to get to it. I learned a lesson last year that I needed to stop and appreciate the beauty when I see it and not take it for granted.

    I also love gliders. I don't have one. I want a swing for the front porch, but we don't have that either.

    BTW, I don't know if you read "Mary's Little Corner in the Woods" (It's on my sidebar), but she has a song posted right now that made me think of your family. It just washed all over me because it's so beautiful and true.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your yard is beautiful! You've inspired me to get busy and make mine the place I see in my dreams!
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Dayle-
    everything is just lovely.
    You have created your own retreat right in your back yard.
    I love that.

    Laura
    White Spray Paint

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely garden and photos, Dayle. Especially liked the bucket of impatiens. Nice job! Susan p.s. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dayle,
    My Mother-in-law had a glider on her screened in porch and we liked to sit and glide in the evenings. Your glider brought back all those old memories (good ones!). I have loved Lilies-of-the-Nile since I saw my first in California when I visited my daughter and son-in-law some years ago. They are so beautiful when grouped together. Your garden looks like a perfect spot to "get away from it all."
    Thank you so much for coming over to check up on me and see how I am doing even when I've not blogged for awhile. Your presence and your prayers mean a lot to me.
    L,
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  12. your backyard is beautiful! i need to make mine a priority! and a glider :) that sounds perfect! better than a swing!! such a pretty setting... even in the HOT!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle