Sunday, May 20, 2012

Island Getaway ~ Hanging out with Twin Sis

I’ve been so absent in blogland this week it's not even funny. There are reasons out the wazoo, but if I told you what a crazy week this had been you might not believe me, so let’s just leave it at that. I am happy to say, however, that it ended on a restful note.

Thursday found me and the twin sister enjoying time together on Galveston Island.  Galveston may not have the waters of the Emerald Coast, but I happen to love its quaintness and the rich history that belongs to the Island. Not to mention, it’s so close to home.

A comfy room with a view. What’s not to love?

You gotta have seafood when you go to Galveston. You just gotta.

We had frozen custard at Rita's for dessert.
Orange cream was divine.

After finishing up dessert, we drove down the seawall to one of the many parks and enjoyed the evening breeze. No matter how old we get, we reserve part of the day for acting just plain silly.

The seagulls put on quite a show.

We returned to our hotel, just as the day was drawing to a close across the little Island.

***

It wasn’t in the initial plan, but we were awake long before sunrise on Friday, so we drove down to IHOP, ate a big breakfast and watched the day break (this was taken from the restaurant; check out that sliver of moon high in the sky).

After paying the tab, we walked along the beach, captivated, as always, by the sun rising, in all of it’s majesty.

***
Later in the day, we engaged in a bit of retail therapy.




For some reason, shopping always makes things better.

After a little time spent soaking up some rays, watching the travel of birds overhead, it was time to say goodbye ... for now.

***

I hope your week is wrapping up nicely. Can't wait to find a few minutes (hours) for visiting with you. Until next time, sweet friends, press on.

***


19 comments:

  1. I've never been to Galveston Island, but it looks lovely. There's just nothing like getting away with your sister. Who else shares your history, and "gets" you like your sister? In fact, I'm kind of missing my sisters writing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your "photos in a photo" picture. How darn clever you are. Aren't sisters just the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dayle- What great fun. Enjoy every moment you can with your sister...blogging is way behind family-in my book.

    It looks like you had a wonderful time..from the shore to shopping to IHop! We'll see you when we see you! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a wonderful place to relax and enjoy not only the gorgeous surroundings, but it just doesn't get much better than adding on time with your sister. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful, fun way to spend time with your twin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pictures and words...you captured the essence of vacation time with a loved one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun conclusion to a busy-bee week! A blast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm wanting some more of that orange cream custard. Lordy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As I said over at Gayle's, those sunset and sunrise pics are breathtaking--so glad you got to go!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't been to Galveston in more than 30 years, the last time being when there was oil all over the beach. Thanks for showing it in all its glory. By the way, when I saw your fried fish, I could almost hear the crunch. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did I see fried oysters? Yummy! I feel the same way ... when I'm at the beach, I've just GOT to have seafood! And why not ... when you're that close to the source? ;-)

    I envy you your close relationship with your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Dayle,
    It has been quite awhile for me also since I've been on the "blogs." I just posted about a getaway to the beach with my two daughters to celebrate Mother's Day and my coming through two and a half months of surgery, recovery and radiation.
    So very glad you had some time to spend with Gayle. The island looks lovely and, most important, peaceful! Loved that you walked on the beach at dawn!

    ~Jean

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a delightful time with your sister, Dayle. So nice for you to have gotten away. Those sunrise shots are fabulous. Loved the seafood and orange cream custard, too. I think I would have loved that getaway. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fun, fun! Every time I read about you two taking a little trip or adventure, it makes me wish I had a sister. Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Dayle,
    Wow, looks like you had a wonderful time at the beach with your sis....
    So special I bet! Loved all your pics they were so neat, so glad you had such a fun time, sounds like you might have needed it!

    Actually came over to see if you still do simple pleasures Thursday,
    cause I did a post, but don't see that you have done one for awhile,
    so did you quit doing it all together???

    Have a lovely evening hon,
    blessings, Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Dayle,
    How Nice to have a little R&R with Gayle.
    Love the sunrise on the beach...the colours are wonderful.
    Meals by the sea and shopping are favourite things for me ,too.
    Have a good week
    God Bless
    Barb from Australia

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Dayle-

    What a wonderful time you had with your sister!
    I think I need a trip to Galveston.

    Laura
    White Spray Paint

    ReplyDelete
  18. My favorite part (aside from the whole sister time thing) is the walk to IHOP before sunrise. That's such a wonderful idea. So often, I just plan to go outside and sit. Making it an eating adventure is such a much better idea!

    I'm glad you had fun. I have long thought that I would enjoy Galveston.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Haven't been by for a while... it was so nice to pop in and have a wee visit. To catch up even if it's not over tea.

    Your trip to Galveston Island looks like it was so much fun. That orange cream, as you put it, looks divine. Yum! Now I want one.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle