Saturday, May 26, 2012

Somebody Bigger


Last night, as darkness took over the day, I walked out to my little garden in the backyard and extinguished the citronella lamps that had been burning.

As I turned back toward the house, there was the crescent moon, suspended above the pines. For a moment, I stopped and stared, my heart overwhelmed by the Creator's mighty works.

I could see the people inside the house—people I loved, who had a lot on their plates and their minds. I didn’t want to make a scene, but my first thought was to burst inside and announce that the God who created the universe was still in charge, still giving orders, still telling the moon what to do and when, still looking out for His children, still interested in hearing about our smallest and biggest concerns, still able to carry us over the rough places.


“He stretcheth out the north over the empty place, and hangeth the earth upon nothing” (Job 26:7).


I didn’t interrupt the family gathering, but this thought has stayed with me all day: Why do we worry and fret? God is so much bigger than we can comprehend. No matter what may come, or who may go, if we’ve committed our lives to Him, we are in gentle and capable hands.

The song, "Somebody Bigger than You and I," written by Johnny Lange, is an oldie, but its message is timeless:


Who made the mountains, who made the trees
Who made the rivers flow to the sea
And who hung the moon and the stars in the sky
Somebody bigger than you and I
Who made the flowers bloom in the spring
Who made the song for the robins to sing
And who sends the rain when the earth is dry
Somebody bigger than you and I

Who lights the way when the road is long
Keeps you company
With love to guide you
He walks beside you
Just like He walks with me

When I am weary, filled with despair
Who gives me courage to go on from there
And who gives me faith that will never die
Somebody bigger than you and I


***

Linking up with Lorraine for “Think on these Things.”



18 comments:

  1. I knew I could find peace here.
    Your words are so claming and paint a perfect picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this. I feel the same way. Sometimes I can fret my way into a serious mess and create problems that were not there to begin with. Why? I follow the King, he has everything under control. Thanks for sharing this verse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Dayle, that was a lovely post. It's so true, too. When darkness falls around us, He is still there. All we need to do is surrender to Him and look for His light. Thanks and have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend! Susan P.S. Loved your moon photo, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post and I love that song. God Bless. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, it is funny- I just wrote on someone's blog yesterday that I don't know why I bother to worry and fret and refuse to just turn things over immediately. Why do I feel the need to take control as if I can change the course of things?

    I feel that way when I look out over big water (Lake Michigan, the ocean) that I am no more than a grain of sand on the shore. Blessings to you- what a beautiful post- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! He really is in charge...we just need to let go and trust.
    Thanks so much for sharing...this is a beautiful reminder.

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. God is steadfastly teaching me to know and believe with all my heart that very truth, Dayle. Oh, I've long "said" it and always wanted to hold to the truth of it, but it's during those long droughts and valleys that it's easiest to forget that He holds me and those I love in the His capable hands. I recently came through one of those seasons. The truth is, I'm still kind of waiting for that other shoe to drop. I'm praying that lessons learned stick with me.

    I hope your family knows that there are people they have never met and will never meet who pray for them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. good morning or afternoon? im hosting a bloghop on tuesday's and will love if you join...is nice to share with others...thank you if you do...the lord love friendship

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favorite quote is "Worry is like a rocking chair; it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere."

    I've been watching the moon, too. The Full Strawberry Moon appears on Monday the 4th. Before blogging, I never even thought about such things. Now I find it all so fascinating.

    Hope you are having a great week. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Dayle,
    Beautiful post. I love when God stops us in our tracks with the wonder of His creation. The song is lovely as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Dayle,
    I can relate to what you say...
    Last night I was praying for all the people in Blogland that I have contact with.....and as I started to name names...It occurred to me that God already knows these people and also KNOWS what a blog is.....God knows all things...and watches over us.I was quite overwhelmed with Wonder, Peace and Thanks.
    Have a good week
    God Bless
    Barb from Australia

    ReplyDelete
  12. When someone has a tender heart toward the Lord is shows in all they do. Your post is sweet, comforting and encouraging... as usual :)

    Thanks for sharing on Think on These Things!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you SO MUCH for your inspirational story--your words have helped me to want to do better about worrying! I don't need to--God has it under control! I'll do my best, He'll make up the rest! Thanks so much!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle