Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Spell Has Been Cast


In joy or sadness, flowers are our constant friends.
~ Kozuko Okakura



This will probably not be their forever home, but for now, they sit prominently on the patio table. I haven't bought them in years, due to less-than-ideal places for them to grow, but they remain my favorite. It's amazing what a bucket full of impatiens can do for your spirits. They cast a gentle spell over me, and I'm quite helpless to stop it.

Today found me at the nursery—a rather dangerous place for me to go alone, but I practiced self-discipline, for now, at least. I returned with a few beauties. Tomorrow, Lord willing, I will be back at it, outdoors, sprucing things up, planting and watering, humming as I go.

***

If you enjoy gardening as much as I do, you will love the book titled, The Gardener’s Bedside Reader. It’s a hardcover book, filled with magnificent full-color photographs, and 24 gardening essays. You may recall that I blogged a little about the book back in 2010, but I still haven't shared the story of how I came to be an unlikely contributor to this anthology (it was a God thing). Maybe one spring I will do just that.


Until next time, sweet friends, press on.





12 comments:

  1. I am missing "getting down and dirty" these days. Was just out watering my lone surviving horse's tail and MIL's tongue plants and my wheels began turning. Hmm. No flowers for me. I think it's the smog, so I'll mess with some oyster and Moses in a Boats. Would love to "frame" some succulents, too. Of course, your post inspires me TODAY.

    Tomorrow... is another day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning, Dayle! A pretty bucket of flowers! Impatiens are what fill my window boxes each summer. They do so well and look so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not safe for me to go to the garden center either. That's because I'm absolutely convinced that I can kill a plant just by passing through. I'm trying again this year, though. I might be a slow learner, but I am always willing to try. Impatiens are a favorite of mine.

    BTW, I would very much enjoy it if you would share the story of how you got to contribute to the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dayle- I made two trips for plants yesterday. It is dangerous waters I tread when I get to a garden center. NOT GOOD..WARNING WARNING..GO HOME NOW! I think MyHero has tried to program all the garden centers out of my GPS!

    I bought some impatiens yesterday, too. It is the first time I have bought them in a long time. They are such cheerful little smilers, aren't they?

    Hope you have a good day. It is pouring here today- so glad I worked outside yesterday- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning! My entire front planter is full of Impatience...love them! Enjoy your gardening today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spring is a wonderful time of new beginnings. Great time to spruce up the garden and try new plants.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh they are beautiful and I love them in that container! You know how I love to dig and plant. It's called yard therapy. I think it's the best therapy there is and is much less costly than going to see a therapist! Enjoy them, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love impatiens, but it's too hot with not enough shade around our place for them. I have to plant those heat loving, hearty flowering plants like geraniums, petunias, lantana and marigolds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. that big bucket calls to me! oh how i wish i was a gardner :) flowers make me giddy... but i make them... dead! so i will admire from a distance!

    thanks for always stopping by and encouraging me... i am trying so hard to get back into blog reading!!! but your notes always leave me smiling. thank yoU!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love impatience! Love your blog! Isn't life just a little bit of this and a little bit of that with lots of Splashes of Serenity along the way.

    Blessings new friend,

    Elaine W. Miller
    www.SplashesofSerenity.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Dayle, I love imapatiens, too. Guess what I did today? Went to a garden center! HA! Great minds think alike. I will post photos of the glorious flowers there, soon. Take care and enjoy the little beauties! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love them too! Like how you put them in a galvanized bucket. Sweet!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle