Monday, July 9, 2012

An Old Calendar Brings A New Perspective ~ Monday Musings

One evening, while digging through dresser drawers, I was surprised to come upon an old calendar in the bottom left drawer. I've been a journaler for many years and don't generally hang on to calendars, so I took a closer look. 

It was one of those monthly calendar, with squares that make it perfect for jotting down appointments, special occasions, and such. The calendar was dated 1993—a year filled with ups and downs, and, if I may be so frank, the downs felt like the absolute bottom. I didn’t need a calendar to remind me of that; some years just stick with you.

Wondering why I'd saved it, and with nothing pressing  to do, I sat down on the floor and opened it up. Maybe I'd forgotten a few things about 1993.

Some of the squares held notations about my daughter’s third-grade school activities, while others reminded me of the days I volunteered at the crisis pregnancy center, or that I was attending a dear friend’s bridal shower on a certain date.

Other squares recorded celebratory days, like, “Anna’s first loose tooth,” or “I’ve lost 15 pounds since June!,” or, “Christmas dinner in Mississippi.”

There were notes reserved for weekends: “Play organ, Sunday PM.” “Hope Singers, Sunday PM.” “Ladies Trio, Sunday AM.” These all reminded me of church-related events and obligations. I couldn’t help but smile, remembering the joy of being part of such things. Music is in my blood, and there’s nothing quite like it to lift my spirits.

And finally, scattered across several months, were  notations like, “Mary, 10:30,” “Mary, 2:00,” or “Stan w/Adam 6:00.”

Ah, there they were. The down times recorded in ink. To explain, 1993 was the year of marriage counseling for me and The Man. I’ve written about this season of our lives before, and I won’t repeat it again here, but as I sat on the bedroom floor, I thought of the troubles that brought us to that point in the first place, both of us having been responsible in some way, but I didn't stop there. 

I also remembered the breakthroughs that came through godly counseling, the new understanding between two people—the reconciliation of a man and a woman who loved each other and had pledged to be there, for better or worse. We were making good on a promise. That didn't mean there wouldn't be heartaches and hard times down the road, but we knew we'd meet them with courage. Weak people throw away relationships, cut people out of their lives. Strong people work through the hard times, just like we were then, just like we do now.

When I was finished, I slipped the old calendar back into the drawer for finding again on some distant evening, because sometimes we need reminding me that the years bring us many things, and some years bring adversity and unspeakable grief. Such is life. But the calendar held a clear message: In the midst of the toughest times, don’t stop living, for there can still be times for singing and making music, for celebrating happy occasions, and the gathering of friends and family around the dinner table.


***

18 comments:

  1. I loved this post and the perspective you give on what could just be labeled a "bad year", but as you pointed out, even in adversity, life goes on and there are things to be grateful for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A perfect way to reflect on your trials in 1993. Be proud of your journey. You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post and good reminder to look for the blessings during the hard times.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh- those painful moments in time- penned onto a calender square to remind us of the adversities we face and overcome. Blessings to you- I am sure you relived a bit of the heartache that you felt that year. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a good visual of that difficult year. The good right along with the bad. The everyday activities mixed in with the unusual. Isn't it just how life is? I think sticking right back in that drawer was a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is particularly poignant to me because I know that 2012 will also be a year you don't easily forget. I only know and mention that because of the time that I have spent praying for you.

    As I read this, therefore, I couldn't help but hear the voice of Mordecai saying, "and who knows but that you saved that calendar for such a time as this..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet Debbie, those prayers have not been in vain. They mean more than you could ever know. And, yes ... God has a way of placing things and people in our lives at just the right moment.

      Delete
  7. From time to time I come across something like a calendar or a report card or a receipt that takes me back to a different time and place. I enjoyed your take on your old calendar, with the perspective that time has given you. With sorrow there was also joy and it's good that you were able to take some of that back and label it '1993'.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some years are hard, they are never all bad there is always some good and happy times mixed in. Glad you worked through your issues. Hope this year is turning out to be the best ever. Thanks for stopping in, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. And don't forget Shooting Senior Pics for a certain grad! Thanks for making me feel like a star that day - It is one of my favorite memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww ... Aimee ... I do remember, and your name was on a square in the calendar, as well, but I couldn't quite recall what was happening (old age does that to you). Thanks so much for reminding me!

      Delete
  10. Glad you had those reminders. 1993 was a very tough year for me. My first child was born in August with Down Syndrome, then she had open-heart surgery in December, came close to going to heaven then, and was on a feeding tube for 8 months until she could eat anything by mouth. Wow, what a year for me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Anita. That was a tough year, no doubt. Isn't it amazing how we all have our unique struggles, and most of them remain unknown to the world? Thanks for sharing that with me.

      Delete
  11. I have kept journals for most of my adult life. I can't read some of the older ones very often. I might get in a mood and read and boohoo and then I put them away. The past few years have been wonderful so those are the ones hubby and I read together to talk about trips and fun times...or just nice ordinary happenings. I'm glad you can talk about what's happened to you and help others. Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Dayle....There was a reason you kept that calendar, after all! Thanks for your visit and comment on my blog. Dayle, regarding that embroidery piece, looking at it, do you think there's a lot more to have embroidered on it? Or is it nearly finished? I have no idea as I don't do embroidery. If you have a chance, look at her again and let me know, okay? Thanks. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some through the water
    Some through the flood
    Some through the fire
    But all through the Blood
    Some through great sorrow
    But God gives a song
    In the night season
    And all the day long.

    Loved this post. *hugs* So glad you held on to so much more than a calendar.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dayle,
    Loved this post. Maybe that is why I keep old journals and calendars. Each square filled with some happening during a special time in a certain year to remember the good and the bad. Like you, I come across them and sift through the memories and come to the conclusion things weren't always as bad as we thought they were.
    Thanks,
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  15. I recently found an old calendar myself. Isn't it amazing that some things we keep are filled with a few things we'd rather forget? I know that year was difficult for you but now you see the blessings that came from "the bottom".

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle