Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Traveling Down Paths Not Chosen

Recently, while praying for all of the folks on my prayer list, it struck me how so many of them are traveling down paths they didn’t choose. Out of the blue, a friend discovers she has a brain tumor. Parents are dealing with the drug-addiction of their son. A mother faces the challenges and loneliness following an unwanted divorce. A man beyond his prime loses his job, with no warning. A troubled daughter runs away from home, leaving her parents grieving.

The more I prayed, the more Kleenex tissues I used, remembering my friends who are in trouble, knowing how quickly, and unexpectedly, such events can come to us.

Life is like that.

Filled with ups and downs, with sunshine and rain.


There is no way to know what may await us around the bend, or over the next hill.

It's impossible to know the future. 

But we can know that whatever the next mile brings, 
be it good news or bad, we aren't alone.

There is One who will walk with us every step of the way. 

He promised.


***

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. ~ Deuteronomy 31:6

If you have two minutes and 25 seconds, here's an oldie goldie from the past. My dad still has this album and I remember playing this particular song over and over when I was a teenager. It has a soothing melody and such comforting words.




Sharing with On Your Heart Tuesday at A Pause on the Path.



17 comments:

  1. Thanks for the good reminder. Timely here; just got word that a friend was airlifted for emergency brain surgery, a burst tumor. I'm so glad God is bigger than anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. Life takes us places we never dreamed we'd go. I'm recovering from a spinal tumor. Blessedly benign, but in March I was hiking Sedona, surgery in June and physical therapy now. So grateful for healing, for loved ones who have been so caring and for G-d's grace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right, Dayle. Sometimes we just do not choose the path on which we find ourselves. But God is always with us, guiding, protecting and controlling. That is a comforting thought. Plus, this, too, shall pass. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I remember this song!
    Perhaps it's normal when one reaches a certain age ... but only in the last few years have I felt so Aware, and have realized how fragile is life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dayle,
    The way of our lives change many times and not of our choosing...but, as you say ...with trust in God we will cope.
    Thank you for this encouraging post.
    Have a good week
    Barb from Australia

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Lord shall choose for me
    'Tis better far, I know
    So let Him bid me go
    Or stay

    Post love x 18. And prayers.

    Standing in the gap for loved ones and friends, too. Thank God for pray-ers like you who also had my back when I traveled paths I had not chosen.

    *hugs*

    P.S. BTW: I never have success commenting on your blog from my iPhone. Can't figure that one out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So true, you never know what is around the corner and we all enter some period of suffering at some point in our lives. Your message that God is there and not to be afraid but have courage is such a comfort and a lovely reminder to all of us going through a dark place at the moment, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I just used this verse in my post today and wrote about Courage. The Lord must have wanted this message out there. My friend's husband was here one moment and gone the next, killed in a tragic fall just over a week ago. This is one of the verses that gives her hope. ~ Abby

    ReplyDelete
  9. That assurance has kept me breathing more than once.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amen, Dayle- What a powerful, positive message! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the way you write. Great expression for a powerful message.

    ReplyDelete
  12. After a difficult 18 months I finally stopped asking 'why me' and changed it to 'why not me - and what will I do with this?'....and things are a whole lot better!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You chose one of my favorite verses today. Love it. Sorry to hear about your friends. We had two unexpected funerals to attend this week, one my daughter's teacher who unexpectedly came down with a serious lung disease this summer and died a few months later. The other was her girl scout leader, who died from breast cancer. She was about my age. So sad for these families, and so sad for a life cut short.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had never heard that song. I love it, and right at this moment, my face is literally wet with tears. Thank you, Dayle, for always stepping aside and letting God use you in His mighty way. You are more than a prayer warrior, you are a God listener.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dayle, I just loved this post. It is so beautifully written. You had me crying for the friends you were praying for. Thank you so much for sharing the song at the end. I loved listening to it. Please tell your dad he has excellent taste in music :)... Donna

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle