Friday, September 21, 2012

Celebrating Autumn


On Tuesday, after night had fallen and the world was quiet, The Man opened the front door to let Diesel out to do his business. In a minute, he stuck his head back in. "Have you been outside tonight?" I told him, no I had not. He motioned for me to get off the couch, so I did.

"Oh my," I said, as I stepped out into the September night. "I think fall has arrived. I almost need a sweater."

While the temps remain warm in the daytime here in Southeast Texas, the humidity is so low, and the nights so cool, I'm convinced that, even though it's not September 22nd yet, the change has officially taken place. I'm convinced that AUTUMN is here, my favorite season of all. That special time of year when the sun begins its descent in the sky, when the days are shorter, the nights longer, and the shadows lengthening.

Is there a better way to celebrate the coming Autumnal Equinox (which occurs September 22, 23, or 24 every year) than by picking out pumpkins?


It didn't take us long to find exactly what we were looking for.

 
Back at the house, I had picked up a couple of crotons several days earlier, as I do enjoy their fall colors, so next on the autumn celebration agenda was getting them in the ground. (I only hope I didn't wait too late; they looked a bit punier than when I bought them.)

Even though her little face is a picture of solemnity, I assure you sugar plum loves the gardening gloves I bought her recently. 

She's needed them for some time now, as one of her favorite activities, whenever she's here, is helping Aunt Dayle "pick weeds," and "water plants." Yes, a little gardener is in the making. Maybe when I'm old and feeble, she'll come plant flowers for me. Of course, if she's here, who needs flowers?

But I digress ... 


Working in the yard left us hungry, so I spread a tablecloth on the ground and The Man rewarded us with chicken wraps from McDonald's. 

In between bites, there were meaningful conversations across the lawn.


And later, using the scarecrows left over from last year, we figured out just what to put where. 

Make no mistake. It was a joint effort. 

Sugar plum loved her tiny pumpkin so much that I let her take it home with her. 








Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~  George Eliot



***

Linking up with the following fabulous parties:




10 comments:

  1. I think our autumn weather is finally here as well. I love your gardening helper and all of your outdoor autumn decor is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy you stopped by my blog & left a comment! I look forward to following your blog!

    Smiles,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in your country in september 2000 and one thing I did see was the pumpkins and scarecrows were everywhere and most of your trees put on a display for Autumn a lot of ours are gums so they don't shed their leaves but they do smell pretty good but not as pretty as yours in Autumn.
    Merle...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dayle,
    Was so nice to hear from you. Looks like Fall decorating has arrived too. Liked all your punkins and scarecrows, very cute and festive,
    Your lil neice is such a cutie patootie, and looks like she is a big
    help making decisions........lol
    Lil ones are just so much fun!! Don't know if you happened to see on my blog a few Thursday ago, that we are finally gonna be real grandparents
    next March 2013. We are beyond excited................and so looking forward to it. It is my Son Scott and his wife Megan. He is our oldest, he will be 35 in November.............
    Well, hon
    You have a wonderful weekend,
    Blessings, Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cutie. What could be better than having your own gloves so you can help out in the garden :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwwww, lovely post, Dayle. Sugar Plum was a wonderful helper, wasn't she? I LOVE that photo with her and the scarecrow. He's just about as big as she is! Sweet photos. Take care and God bless. Autumn has arrived at your house and everything looks great! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a fun helper to decorate for Autumn with you!! She's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These images are more inviting than Hallmark! :))) My fav is Sugar Plum snuggin' up to the scarecrow.

    Like you, Autumn is my favorite season ... but it's not yet made its way to Phoenix. Thanks for allowing me a few moments to gaze and daydream!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet post, with your granddaughter...
    Happy Fall!!

    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the autumn photos. That is what I am missing most while here in Cambodia.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle