Saturday, September 1, 2012

Mildred's Salad Bowl ~ A Favorite Thing

Before my sweet mother-in-law passed away, she gave me and The Man (her son!) a few of her things. One of my favorites is this hand-painted bowl.

What makes this bowl so special is its history. Mildred told me it was a gift to her and Ernest, on their wedding day in 1948, from her own mom and dad. Now, how special is that? For many years it is has adorned a prominent place in the dining room hutch.


It is a challenge to photograph, but I did my best.

***


Not long ago, while browsing at a local antique mall, I came across what I considered to be a platter that had to be painted by the same artist. I did a little happy dance and snatched it right up.
Later, I discovered that the platter is not a platter at all, but is called a “salad bowl liner.”
  
And how marvelous that my prized salad bowl fits perfectly into the circular groove of the salad bowl liner, as if they were made for each other. Who knows? Maybe they were.



We're sharing favorite things over at Mockingbird Hill Cottage, if you'd like to join us.


***


18 comments:

  1. Dayle, what a treasure you have there! And it certainly was providence that guided you to that salad bowl liner! Things like this are so precious and I thank you for taking part in the party and sharing them with us. Come back next week!

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very pretty and cherished piece! Sweet that you found the salad bowl liner and they fit together just right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful piece. I have never seen another like it. I can't imagine how you ever found a plate that was "made for it". Blessings- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, could that "plater" have been more timely? It must of belonged to the salad bowel. Now you just added to the history. Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe you are right. They were made for each other. You didn't find the liner by accident! Your favorite thing is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how perfect!! It has to be a piece that goes with your salad bowl. They both look great! Kit

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a beautiful bowl and I love the story behind it. I can't believe you found the matching bowl liner-amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Dayle, how perfect is THAT? Your mother-in-law must be still watching out for you from above. How beautiful. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  9. They go together TOO perfectly not to be meant to. How unique and beautiful they are. I can see why you cherish them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now how is that not meant to be! You found the "other half" of your salad bowl. The bowl is beautiful standing alone but when you add the base it's like a frame! What a find……

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bet-cha Mildred is "bustin' her buttons" and smiling down at you right about now. This is really heartwarming.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It`s gorgeous, Dayle, and what a lovely memory too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the salad bowl Dayle ~ and not only that the liner was made to fit but meant to be. How special is that? And you kind comments on my post are some of the sweetest anyone's ever said. Thanks for following, and I'm following back. See you next Saturday (:
    P.S. Luv your quilt cupboard

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh how fabulous! I got a little chill when I saw how perfectly it matched. What a wonderful and sweet little story. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dayle, What a wonderful bowl and story behind it! I can't believe you found a salad platter that clearly was meant to find your bowl! I'll bet your mother-in-law had something to do with you going into that mall antique store on the day you did! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving such a nice comment on my dad's wedding ring post! Have a wonderful week... Donna

    ReplyDelete
  16. Imagine finding a matching under plate for your hand painted bowl. Lovely story to go with the bowl.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  17. What incredible luck (or is it predestination?) that you found the matching piece! That plate knew you would treasure it as much as the bowl. ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle