Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Onion Jar ~ A Favorite Thing


This adorable little onion jar belonged to my maternal grandmother. As long as I can remember, it was always in her kitchen whenever we would visit. And to my knowledge, there were never any onions in it.

On the bottom, it is marked, “DeForest of California” and indicates it is hand-painted. All I know about the DeForest company is that it grew from the hobby of Margaret DeForest and was in operation between 1950 and 1970.

I don’t recall how the little onion jar ended up with me, but I’m happy it did. It is one of my favorite things.

I’m sharing again this week at Claudia’s "A Favorite Thing" party, over at Mockingbird Hill Cottage. And I was honored that Claudia has featured my post from last week—the one about the Singer sewing machine—in her post today. Thanks, Claudia!

***



14 comments:

  1. You have the neatest things, Dayle! And they all have a story, which is the way I collect, as well. Love the Onion Jar - I've never seen one before. So whimsical and adorable.

    Thanks so much for joining in this week.

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen/heard of an onion jar, but I love it...just darling. But of course the story behind it makes it so special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dayle! That little onion jar is cute enough to cry over! It's very "a-peeling" too! ha! Glad it wound up at your house. Hope you have a terrific weekend. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. That little jar is so cute. I've never seen one before.
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cute! I've never seen an onion jar, at least not to know it. How precious it must be to you to have it in your kitchen now.

    Visiting here from Claudia's Favorite Things Saturday.

    Have a great weekend.

    Cassandra from Renaissance Women

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never seen an onion jar either, but it is just too cute! What a wonderful treasure, tfs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute! :D I have never seen one before, and never knew anyone who stored onions in a jar.
    Thanks for stopping by and nice comment.
    Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, and what a wonderful and special favorite thing it is :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the look on his face it explains onions very well.
    Merle.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. You can keep all kinds of things in an onion jar I guess. How nice to have a reminder of your Granny. I showed the students how they should chop onions in order not to cry. Your jar made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cute little jar! I can see why it's a favorite thing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great Onion Jar. Thanks for following and I am following back. Hope to read your post next week at Claudia's.
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  13. Onion jar is cute, BUT, you know we are all salivating over that sewing machine!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, that's just the cutest face ever, Dayle! What fun, and how nice that you got to keep it, especially since you remember it so well from your grandmother's kitchen. I have a little Deforest tea bag holder that belonged to *my* grandmother! It has a pink face, cute smile, and eyes looking off to the left mischievously. :)

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle