Thursday, September 27, 2012

Writing can help with unresolved issues

Whenever I thumb through one of my many old journals, I find strength in reading about past struggles, how I got from Point A to Point B, how my feelings may have evolved along the way. From anger, to forgiveness. From frightened, to fearless. From apathetic, to enthusiastic.


Consider this blurb from a journal entry of mine, dated October 25, 1999:
The pain in my heart is never far away. I miss what used to be, and I can't do anything to fix it.

But just four days later, I can see that I'm inching forward when I wrote these words:


Prayer always lightens our load. We never come away from a time of prayer feeling worse—always better. God understands our grief and heartache. He's carried a load much greater than ours, and He knows how to soothe us when it feels as if our hearts will break. Like seasons, our lives experience a flow of changes—sometimes growing, sometimes waiting, sometimes fruitful, sometimes barren. No season is wasted or useless. In time, we will see the reasons behind them all.


Perhaps you've never kept a journal, or even written your feelings in a blog. You might ask, "Why bother? It's over and done with. What's the point?"


To be honest, there are few activities as helpful as journaling during the tough times. I can't explain how it works; I just know that it does. The very act of writing, of putting pen to paper, carries with it a power that releases and relieves.

***
Ina Albert is a healthcare communications expert and an author. Perhaps she expressed it best when she wrote:
Every unresolved issue begs, borrows or steals the energy we need for our own healing. Most of us deal with only part of our life experience. The moment we bury what we can’t bear to look at, we decrease our chance for the recovery we desire. Unresolved issues become crippling.




Whether you’re in a hard place right now, or still carrying the weight around of things past, why not take some time to put your thoughts and feelings on paper? It doesn’t sound like much, I know, but, in time, you’ll see that it is.

***

8 comments:

  1. That last quote? Wow. So true.
    I used to be so good at keeping a journal. It's been years since I've written in one. I think blogging has taken up my writing time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister and I were just talking about journaling. I think I will start again. Thanks for the timely reminder.

    Hugs,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! I love to journal and I guess thats why I took so well to blogging years ago. I keep my inner and closer thoughts and prayers in my written journal and my home and crafty stuff here to share. I find it very helpful to go back and read through. I like you, have seen much growth in my life. I have also read over funny things that people have said and done that now live in heaven. You make me want to update mine now. Thanks for inspriring such a lost art to many. Happy journaling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some pretty journals. I too have several journals myself. I really don't like to write, but they have help me alot in seeing what goes in my life and how to cope with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have lit a fire.
    Timing, words and passion are so appropriate.
    TODAY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Dayle, you are SO RIGHT. Writing feelings down on paper helps to clarify them. Just yesterday, as a matter of fact, I was bummed about something and said to myself, "I've got to write about this." I put down my feelings and BAM! A short time later, the situation was resolved. I was able to rip up a couple of pages that I wrote, to get things off my mind. It was wonderful! Cathartic!

    So your post today is soooo true. Writing is the bomb! Thanks for the reminder, my dear fiend. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so true, Dayle. I personally journal on 3x5s. I can write a few lines or I can use the fronts and backs of card after card. I really learn a lot about God and growth by reflecting upon my journey as recorded in my journals.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful advice, Dayle! I've kept a prayer journal for many years... writing out my private prayers (which of course cover joys, heartaches, and growing pains). As you proved, it's amazing to occasionally go back and see "from whence I've come" or occasionally "from whence I've strayed." I find much encouragement and healing by journaling.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle