Monday, October 22, 2012

I Did It! ~ The Saga of The Painted Headboard

After much hemming and hawing, I finally decided to take the plunge and paint the headboard in my guest bedroom, using CeCe Caldwell’s chalk paint. This bedroom suite was part of The Man’s furnishings when we married, and served as our bedroom furniture for several years, even though I’ve never been crazy about it, personally. It is a 1970’s colonial style and, for my tastes, is a bit heavy. But, it resides in the guest room and will probably remain in the family.



If you know me, you know I love wood furniture in its natural state, and have never painted a single piece in my life, so this notion of painting furniture would be a big step for me.

I started with a trip to Rosy Revival to pick out the paint and wax. If you’re a regular reader of my blog (all seven of you), then you know the story of Rosy Revival, and you know the shop is a dealer of CeCe Caldwell’s chalk and clay paint, and you know the owners of this adorable place are relatives of minesugar plum’s mom and dad.

(I'd be thrilled if you went and "Liked" Rosy Revival on Facebook. Can you tell I'm a proud aunt?)


Back to my story. There are a host of colors available, but I didn’t want to get too wild and crazy on my first piece. So, I chose a color called Johnston Daffodil, and decided on a clear wax, as opposed to a dark wax.

I must confess. Even though chalk paint is the new rave and goes on with little or no prep work involved, as each step progressed, I hated the results more and more. I really did.


Even when the bed was fully covered in paint, and waxed to a wonderful sheen, I was not completely in love. I still questioned my decision; I can be a tough sell like that. But I had faith, because I've seen so many pieces on blogs, and at Rosy Revival, that I liked, so I plowed onward.
***


In the end, distressing was key to my opinion turning the corner.



I apologize for the inconsistency of colors in these various shots; it's because of using a flash on some, not on others, not to mention three different cameras. My bad.

While I wish I had the energy right now to paint the guest bedroom walls another color, so this bed would pop a bit more, I’m totally pleased with the outcome, and the whole concept of painting furniture is growing on me. I suspect it won't be my last piece, and I also suspect I will paint the guest bedroom, at some point, Lord willing.
So ... there you have it. I did it! I painted a piece of furniture! Woo-Hoo!

What fun things have you done this week?

I will be sharing my fun adventure at the following fabulous parties, if you’d like to click over and check out some great blogs.


***

38 comments:

  1. Great makeover. It looks fantastic. I think it really lightened and brightened the headboard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job, Dayle. SOOOOO much better than the original! You really improved it a LOT. It really, reallyy looks nice. Good job! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! I live with a man who hates to put paint on perfectly good wood. I've only been working on him about the kitchen cabinets for 22 years. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renee, I painted my cabinets in 2005. OMW! I wish I had painted them 10 years earlier. Soooo much work, but the difference is wonderful!

      Delete
  4. Oh, you did it alright! You did it beautifully! I LOVE the transformation! I have a large tv cabinet I have been thinking of painting and you just might have inspired me. My daughter has been talking me into it every time she comes. She doesn't think a moment before painting things.

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Love Lovvvvvvvve!! I knew when you started this that you were inspired by Rosy Revival. I feel the same about natural woods, but I have become just plain enamored with the painted look.

    I'm just such a big fat chicken that I keep putting off the project too.

    I really love the way that came out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your headboard looks terrific. I too love wooden furniture and would be a bit skittish about painting it, but yours turned out great. This would be a good project on a wooden thrift shop find too. Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think starting with a thrift shop piece would be the best approach. No fear.

      Delete
  7. Wow! I am totally impressed, and totally love the way it looks. I would love to do my kitchen cabinets, but I am SUCH a chicken....how hard was the distressed part? Well, glad it worked out soo well for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I painted my kitchen cabinets in 2005 and wish I'd done it years sooner. Made such a difference. Of course, I did it the old-fashioned way, lots of sanding, blood, sweat and tears, but worth it.

      As for the distressing, that was very easy. Use a really fine grade of sandpaper, and wipe the piece down frequently after sanding the areas you're distressing.

      Delete
  8. Looking good, it is lighter in colour and feel. I don't always like distressing it sometimes looks like you only got one coat on and gave up but this job looks just right.
    Merle.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on a job well done! Your bed turned out great and I'm sure you'll like the lighter feel to it.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have wanted to try chalk paint for awhile, but have not found it locally. Your bed looks terrific! I think the distressing did the trick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe Rosy Revival will ship paint to you. They're on Facebook, or you can email me for more info, if interested.

      Delete
  11. I really like how it turned out. I agree, distressing was the key.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been wanting to try the chalk paint, also, but all I could find locally was the CeCe Caldwell and the stockist didn't have the wax. I think the Alaska Tundra is such a beautiful color and would love to try it, distressed and waxed on a piece of furniture. It is definitely on my "to do" list....

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it! It totally updated the look of the bed. The distressing did the trick. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's brighter, cheerful, and you did a great job! Quite a transformation. I really like it, Dayle!

    ReplyDelete
  15. P.S. Did you see that?! I commented successfully from my iPhone! Yippee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yippee!! (I can't tell you how often I attempt to comment on your lovely blog, but those "Greek" letters get me every time. I can't ever seem to get them right, so I give up, like a wimp. Just know I read and enjoy it very much.)

      Delete
  16. Love this ... and your comment "all seven ..." made me LOL!

    I visited Rosy Revival, a few weeks ago, chatted with Shaun and purchased the "Carolina Sun Yellow". Brought it home, put it and the brush on the table in front of the chair. Than I sat in the chair and the paint is still in the little bottle ...... *.*

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love love the way it turned out..... I am just the opposite of you... I absolutely love painted furniture... but I am extremely fearful of painting a piece myself... I just keep on admiring others' work!! LOL... but you have inspired me... That headboard is just beautiful!! And yes... I will like Rosy Revival!! Such a cute shop !!!!!!! wish i was closer!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Okay, so I'm one of your newest fans, your count now skyrockets to 8, which is about 6 more than mine. :) I can totally feel your pain with chunky man caveish furniture inherited when I married 100 years ago, but you did work miracles with it! Two gold stars to you my new friend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Opps Dayle, I'm sorry, but I didn't realize I was signed in with my daughter's account, my 15 yr. old didn't say all that above, haha. And I can't delete it for some reason.

    Okay, so I'm one of your newest fans, your count now skyrockets to 8, which is about 6 more than mine. :) I can totally feel your pain with chunky man caveish furniture inherited when I married 100 years ago, but you did work miracles with it! Two gold stars to you my new friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This gave me a much-needed laugh. Sorry about the "oops" moment. And I have a daughter named Anna. How cool is that?

      Delete
  20. I'm with you on the painting of wooden furniture. I too hated it right until the finish. I'm now doing more pieces, but still refuse to paint any real antiques. The great thing about chalk paints though is they are very easy to remove should you ever wish too! I like the bed, it looks lovely. x

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think you did a beautiful job! The carved details are splendid. I painted a bed long ago that had a bookcase headboard -- painted it yellow!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It looks so beautiful! I love the distressing you did.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It looks really good. I too have a hard time with the thought & painting of wood - I have branched out a bit & am in the process of painting a round table. Must finish it before winter. HA! Missed dropping by, but have been limiting myself on the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks, sweet friends, for your comments on my very first chalk paint project. I should have added that the distressing was done with a fine grade of sandpaper (something like 220). It was the easiest and most fun part of all.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow...it looks AMAZING! Love it! I'm a big fan of CeCe's Chalk Paint. Use it all the time! Thanks for stopping by earlier! I'm now following you! Hope you have a great night! Blessings ~ Judy

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful transformation and update to your headboard, Dayle! I don't normally distress, but I have to agree with you ~ it really gave it the perfect finished look. I love how it turned out! It's like you got a brand new headboard now!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh boy, she's got the painting bug now. Might as well convert your garage to a painting booth; you are hooked. I love working with chalk paint, and I have a couple more projects to go. You would think I wouldn't have anything left to paint, but oddly enough, there's always more. Great job on the bed by the way, and it is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congrats on painting your first piece of furniture, with chalk paint no less, I've yet to use it but been thinking about trying it out too.
    The bed turned out looking great!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle