Thursday, October 25, 2012

One Morning, On An Ordinary Road


Several weeks ago, I drove over to take my mom to her first physical therapy session, following the discovery of two slipped discs in her back. My parents live about two hours away, and her appointment was at 9:30 in the morning, so that meant getting a move on.
Under an early morning sky, I joined the Houston commuters and headed East. I’d not gone but a few miles when my eye caught something round and glowing up ahead. (Do you see it?)


There it was—the sun rising, announcing the dawn. There’s just something about the breaking of day that is hard to describe. It’s magical and humbling and thrilling all at once.


As I crossed Lake Houston, I eased over on the shoulder to make the most of my phone's camera. That’s how I roll. If I’m driving and see something worthy of a photo, by golly, I’m going to do my best to find a way to make it happen. From the looks of things, this was going to be a crystal clear day.

But a mile or so up the road, something changed.


Without warning, a layer of fog suddenly appeared, blanketing the sun, hiding its face behind a veil.


All around me, the fog seemed to whisper the mysteries of morning.


I was glad to be traveling alone, because, once again, I felt compelled to pull over and document this moment. I’m certain there came a surge of goosebumps, so captivated I was by the view.


I don't remember how long I sat there, but as I rejoined my fellow travelers, I thought for a long time about what I’d just witnessed, and  I couldn’t help but wonder if anyone else had noticed the extraordinary scenes unfolding on this ordinary day, on this ordinary road.


***

 




“My Father God, help me to expect Thee on the ordinary road. I do not ask for sensational happenings. Commune with me through ordinary work and duty. Be my Companion when I take the common journey. Let the humble life be transfigured by Thy presence.” (from Streams in the Desert 1, by Mrs. Charles E. Cowman)

15 comments:

  1. Every time I see a sunrise (or our here,more likely a sunset) I am aware of the gift I've just been given. I completely understand your compulsion to stop for these beautiful photo-reminders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful post, Dayle - I would have been captivated by the fog draped morning and the glowing sun peaking through the mist, too! Love that time of the morning - so quiet - puts me in a pensive mood. Perfect for tea and devotions. Hope all goes well with your mom. You are so good to drive the distance to come to her aid. Blessings!
    Joy!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful sunrise. In my devotions today it talked about Psalm 145:5; goes along wonderfully with your post. Have a blessed day. Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. A true bloger thru and thru!
    Loved how you took us with you, as you traveled.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I fond of fog it always means a lovely clear day, usually warm so in winter it's always a good sign, your pictures are lovely.
    Merle....

    ReplyDelete
  6. What gorgeous photos of the sunrise!

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a perfect example of why I think you are a woman after my own heart. There is always so much extraordinary in the ordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Dayle....Lovely photos! You were privy to most splendorous beauty! Thank you for sharing. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Come this time of year, I’m treated to the prettiest sunrises on my daily commute; it’s my favorite time of the day!

    ...and sometimes I’m overwhelmed by the thought (of) us ALL being privy to the same sunrise, sunset, even midnight galaxies -- geographically distanced from one another perhaps, but (hopefully) joined in appreciation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved these images, and the thoughts you had as you experienced this breathtaking sunrise. It takes only one thing to change everything, doesn't it?

    *hugs*
    Kelley

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely post, lovely pictures, lovely you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Dayle! What lovely snaps! Thanks for popping in to see me.
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Dayle,
    SO nice to share these beautiful morning scenes from your camera. I can almost feel the mist in the air. You found the extraordinary :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fog - certainly fodder for poets and writers (like yourself)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am glad that you pulled over ! that way you were able to share and these are just lovely !

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle