Friday, November 30, 2012

The View from Here ~ It's All About Vantage Points

Across the road from my parents’ home, the trees have been showing their splendor since we arrived the day before Thanksgiving. They remind me daily that beauty can still be found, even in difficult times, if only we don’t stop looking.

The events and changes that life sends to us often force us to reorder our lives. Our first reaction may be one of kicking and screaming as we put up a fight to ward off any semblance of change, any notion that we may have to leave our nest of comfort and set out on a different path.

I think this reaction is unavoidable, initially, for the simple reason that we haven’t had time to adjust our vantage point. We are still viewing the world from our usual position. We are creatures of habit, after all. We don’t like having to leave home unexpectedly, not knowing when we will return. We don't like knowing our father may never walk again, after walking a mile a day for 40 years.


But how things appear depends completely on your vantage point. I can step outside on any given day and never see the blue skies or the tops of trees if I keep my head to the ground. And unless I climb a mountain, or get there by ski-lift or some such thing, I will never see the magic of the city lights glowing in the darkness below. It’s all about vantage points.

***

Dad’s second surgery was performed Monday and he now has a heavy black boot on his left leg. He cannot put weight on it for at least two months and probably three.

Yesterday, he started the first phase of his long rehab program. He will continue here at the hospital for the next two weeks, then will have to be moved, most likely, to a skilled rehab facility for about three months. We are exploring all possibilities, including home healthcare. There are still many unknowns and we’ve learned to not think too far ahead.

Last night, following a week with a fairly full house, it was just me and my mom. We can only visit Daddy during set hours now. After we returned home from the hospital, we sat at the bar in the kitchen and played a couple games of Dominoes (her favorite; she is a fierce player). Me, not so much. I often have to be told I made points. Even so, I managed to beat her once and she beat me once. I know her well enough to know she didn’t give it to me either. That girl plays to win every time.


Last night’s games were really more than games though. As we played, we talked about many things—some weighty, some not—and I realized how blessed I am to be, at this moment in time, able to serve my mother and father, to the best of my ability.

As we make this sharp curve in the road of life together, we don’t know how or where it will end. There may be more tears than laughter, but from my vantage point, life is beautiful, God is good, and I am blessed.

Until next time, sweet friends, I apologize for not being able to visit around the blog neighborhood. In time, I hope to be back in full swing. In the meantime, thanks so much for your prayers, for your thoughts, for your encouraging comments. They mean more than I could ever express.


***

17 comments:

  1. Thank you for this update, Dayle! You and your family have been on my mind ... and, of course, in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These trying times can be very precious as life and conversations are reduced to what really matters. Sending you love, Dayle, and prayers for God's overwhelming peace, love and strength.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Dayle, this is a HARD time for you and all your sweet family. And especially hard for your Daddy. God bless that man and all of you. Your attitude is so good. You have your focus exactly where it must be.....on the Lord and all His goodness. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for you and your family! Your perspective seems to be right where it should be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just come back from a week in the east that included time with my dad who is caring with such loving tenderness for my mum. Your post touched me in a particular way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've been on my heart and in my prayers, Dayle. I was going to email, but didn't want to put one more thing on your plate like responding to an email. Thank you for the update. I pray you will be able to make the best decisions day by day.
    That mama of yours and I would get along great with games!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Dayle I am soo sorry to read about this. I had missed your previous post about your precious dad, but I am all caught up now. I have prayed for him and I will continue to life him as the Spirit prompts me to. I have found these last couple of years that your words are just soo true. It is all about our vantage point isn't it? And as long as our views go through Him, we can know peace.

    No one loves a good competitive game quite like my mom. She has not been able to bring herself to play our old card game though since my step dad passed away. He was such a part of that. Sad.

    Praying for a quick and full recovery! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope and pray all goes well for your father. Your great outlook on the situation will get you through this. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praying for you and your parents during this difficult time. Even in the toughest of times, God gives us moments we would not have otherwise. Change is so hard, at least for me. Hugs from blogland!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am thinking of you and keeping you and your family in my prayers. Hang in there. It is so hard when we get thrown for a loop. But all will be fine. :) Kit

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am keeping him in my prayers, too. I love the photos of the beautiful Fall colors. Sweet hugs, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love what you said about vantage point. It spoke volumes to me.
    I continue to remember your dad and your whole family in prayer, Dayle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope thing go well for your dad, wishing you all the best.
    Merle.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope all is going as good as can be at this point. Take care and my God be with all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Know that yoou are in our thoughts and hearts in this sad time for you and your family. Minerva x

    ReplyDelete
  16. This post makes my heart ache because I have walked the road you are on and it is not an easy one. It makes me think back and remember those fleeting moments when life was very good and my Mom was good and my father walked tall and strong and proud. It is a journey full of pit holes and love, sadness and joy. Grab onto every memory you can absorb for "someday". Blessings and I am praying for your Dad's full recovery and for your strength. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle