Sunday, December 30, 2012

2012 ~ A Year In Review

Every year offers up something different. Sometimes we find ourselves wishing for time to fly, other times wishing it would stand still. Some years bring exciting changes, while others offer no relief from the humdrum of the daily grind. There are years that find us grappling with loss and heartache. It can be difficult to keep our balance. 

The thing I find most comforting, no matter the weather or season, is that God never changes. His love and grace and mercy are constant. His promises are yea and amen. As the words from a favorite hymn say, there is no shadow of turning with Him. That simply means He will never turn His back on us. It is believing this that helps me get through anything.

It's been a tradition for me to take a look back this time every year, so here are a few of my memories and images from 2012:



January ~ The girl joined the 21st century and got a smart phone.


February ~ My precious sugar plum brought me many a smile as she chased a ball around the yard.

  
March ~ The Man and I enjoyed an eight-week trip to Florida that included visiting the Atlantic coast ...


... and exploring Captiva Island, the place where one of my favorite authors used to go for quiet writing retreats.


April ~ We returned from a long road trip and spent much-awaited time with sugar plum.


May ~ I enjoyed a blessed Mother's Day Sunday with family ...


... and afternoon coffee in my little garden.


June ~ My beautiful daughter celebrated a birthday ...


... and my niece and her husband opened a little shop called Rosy Revival.


July ~ We spent a few days in one of our favorite getaway places, the lovely San Antonio.


August ~ The Man and I celebrated 32 years of marriage.


September ~ As summer came to a close, we spent a few days on Galveston Island, another favorite getaway close to home ...


... and I got a helping hand in the garden.


October ~ Twin sister and I celebrated another birthday.


November ~ We spent a week in beautiful Branson, Missouri ...


... and spent Thanksgiving Day at the hospital with my dad, after learning he'd fallen off the roof the day before.


December ~ We enjoyed Christmas Day, surrounded by family, and most grateful that Daddy was home and recovering from two surgeries, resulting from his accident.


***

As I step into the New Year, I want to be mindful that, no matter what may trouble me or bring me pain, beauty and goodness are all around me, just waiting to be discovered.

Here's wishing you and yours a healthy and prosperous New Year!

***











20 comments:

  1. Dayle-What a beautiful post- I didn't know you had a twin sister- How very special. I am so glad that your Dad is home and recovering- Blessings- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diana. Yes, I have an identical twin. She also has a blog. You can find her on my sidebar (SOLITARY MOMENTS). I know she'd love a visit.

      Delete
  2. It looks like you had a wonderful year (except for your dad's fall), Dayle with all those beautiful getaways and time with your granddaughter. God's blessings to you as we head into the new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melanie. Sugar plum isn't my granddaughter (she's my grand-niece), but since I don't have a grandbaby (yet), I'm having a lot of fun pretending. HA!

      Delete
  3. What a great year! May 2013 be the best ever. :) Kit

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always look forward to seeing your year in review.
    Here's to the New Year, health and recovery to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes! Falling off the roof is not good for anyone at any age. I'm glad your daddy is doing well now. Looks like you had a wonderful year filled with family and fun outings. I still haven't joined the 21st century when it comes to my mobile -- still have an old Nokia that everyone makes fun of. :) Wishing you and yours a healthy, happy new year. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been a busy year full of many activities and happiness except for the falling off the roof, hope your dad is soon his old self again all the best for the new year.
    Merle......

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a wonderful year! May your New Year be blessed! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, that was a lovely recollection of 2012 and I remember most of those from your sweet blog, Dayle!

    You are so right about God being the same today as He was yesterday and the same as He'll be tomorrow. EYES ON THE ROCK and all will be okay in the new year.

    May yours be blessed! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how I have enjoyed traveling with you through this year. May the Lord richly bless you and yours in 2013! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  10. The only thing that really makes me look ahead with confidence is that I know my God is faithful no matter what comes. This past year could be considered a roller coaster year for you (me too). I'm so glad that your dad is recovering, and I wish you the happiest of new years ahead with that wonderful family of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awwww the kiddos are so cute. Looks like a lovely year. I want to visit San Antonio.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like you've had a very good year with the exception of your Dad's accident! Your travels sound fun,fun,fun! Little one is precious!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed walking down memory lane of 2012 with you.
    Happy New Year, Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  14. So nice to revisit your year of memories with you. I hope you have a wonderful and blessed new year ahead.
    Hugs,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have said it so well and then walked through memory lane...both the struggles of hospital and the joys of family and travel. You visited some of my favorite places...SA, I haven't been on the river walk in years and Galveston. Blessings in this New Year and all that God has in store for you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, you had a very busy year! But it looks like it was a fun year, too! Hope your dad is continuing to improve and heal!

    Thanks for visiting my blog and for the kind comment left! Enjoyed browsing over yours and am now following you! :) Have a wonderful weekend! ~Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Dayle,
    It was fun revisiting your travels and fun getaways this past year. So glad that your Dad is recovering and that things are getting back to normal. Sugar Plum is just adorable and provides so much pleasure for you, I'm sure. I've not been on blogger since Thanksgiving since I've had some drama from a mammogram, an ultrasound and an MRI. I finally got the good news in the middle of December that whatever had been there six months ago is now GONE! Praise the Lord! I hope to get back into the swing of things again in blogland in the new year.

    L,
    Jean

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle