Monday, December 17, 2012

Raining in my Heart

Sunday unfolded wet and gloomy at Mom and Dad’s place, as if the heavens were weeping. The sight of it mirrored the rain in my heart.

Since the tragic shootings at the elementary school in Connecticut, I’ve wept, I’ve prayed. I’ve been angry. I’ve been sad. I’ve slept less. I’ve tried to put myself in the shoes of the loved ones left behind, those who won’t have a Merry Christmas, who will never have another Christmas without memories of a Friday in 2012 when unspeakable things happened. That tidal wave of grief that washed over them is now part of their personal landscape. There is no going back to what used to be.

I don’t know how much brokenness one heart can bear, but in Luke 4:18, Jesus said he came to heal the brokenhearted, and I have no doubt that His presence is with those who open their hearts to Him as they prepare to say their earthly goodbyes to loved ones. God promised to be our strength when all of our strength is gone. I can say, with assurance, that His promises are faithful and true.

As long as we live in this world, there will be anguish and agony and screaming in disbelief whenever life’s tragedies are visited upon us. But there is good news in the midst of the suffering and grief. Revelation 21 tells us of a new heaven and a new earth, when the former things are passed away. My favorite promise is found in Verse 4: “And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.”

My prayer is that the loved ones left behind will be comforted by the strong arms of God, and warmed by the memories that death cannot take away.


***


6 comments:

  1. Simply, Amen. I'm so glad you reminded me of Luke 4:18. Just the verses that I needed to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unspeakable tragedy. Only God can truly comfort the heart during such times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, poignant post, Dayle. It is impossible to comprehend the enormity of such a tragedy. I cannot get the little children out of my thoughts...how scared they must have been until the Lord came and gathering them all up and took them home.

    My heart literally aches for the parents and others left behind. It is just so heart-wrenching. Susan

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle