Saturday, January 19, 2013

An Old Print ~ A Favorite Thing


I’m quite giddy to be able to join in the 20th “FavoriteThing” party, hosted by the lovely Claudia at Mockingbird Hill Cottage. If you keep up with me (all five of you), you know I’ve been away from home (and without Internet), for the most part, since Thanksgiving, due to my dad falling off a ladder and requiring two surgeries.

But, enough about that, here’s my favorite thing for today and I hope you love it as much as I do.

When I spied this poignant print in an antique store, not long ago, I knew it was coming home with me. It depicts a mother praying over her infant child, a handkerchief in her hand, a Bible on the table, and a photo of Jesus hanging on the wall behind the child.

It’s called, “A Mother’s Prayer.” No mention of the artist.

Oh, how many times have we, as mothers, done this exact thing for our children. Not just when they were tiny, but all throughout their lives, and even into adulthood. My daughter is married and I still pray for her every day.

I think of the words of Abraham Lincoln when he said, “I remember my mother’s prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life.”

For now, this sweet print takes center stage on a shelf in my little foyer.

For more favorite things, hop over to the party place.

***


17 comments:

  1. How touching. Looks great on your shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet print -- it speaks volumes. You were lucky that it waited for you in the antique store!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That print is simply beautiful. I wouldn't have been able to pass it up, either. It looks wonderful in your home. So glad you're back, Dayle!

    Thanks so much for joining in this week!

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's such a sweet print of a beautiful moment. So glad you were able to take a break and join Claudia's party. Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Dayle, that's a wonderful print. So meaningful, too. Thanks so much for sharing. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a most lovely print! Yes, as a mom I continually pray for my children. And one, fervently.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it. Looks nice there. I'm glad prayers never die.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a wonderful find....it does tell a story that ever mother can relate too...very sweet......blessings

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful print...It is so touching for Moms to see. I'm going to try to find out who painted it.
    balisha

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a beautiful painting. I have always remembered the quote by A. Lincoln. I raised 4 sons and have always been a praying Mother. I love that small plant, is it a live plant? Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. Regarding the little plant, while most of my indoor plants are live plants, this one is not. I just love it because it looks so real.

      Delete
  11. Don't you love how certain images just speak volumes? I envy your certainty, Dayle ... to follow you heart and make that purchase. (Me, I spent too much time over-thinking ... and sometimes regretting not having acted.)

    PS - Isn't that your father-in-law's h.s. sweater? Your earlier post so touched me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Myra, that is my father-in-law's high school sweater. Thanks for your kind words.

      Delete
  12. A wonderful and comforting print!

    Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love antique prints - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think this print may be by R. Atkinson Fox. I have an extensive collection of his prints including some he painted under pseudo names.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle