Friday, January 4, 2013

And so we begin ...


And so we begin. It’s that time when people claim words and slogans and resolutions as they walk into this fresh and empty space called a New Year. I haven’t claimed a word, a slogan, or made any resolutions for this one, but I will cheer on those who do. (I don't even have a new calendar yet, and the ones at home still say November and December something or other.)

I cooked breakfast this morning. That’s generally what Mother does, but I sent her to the couch and took over. As I cracked four eggs into a skillet, watched them take shape in their own way, I wondered how this year would shape up.

There’s no way to know, of course, but I’m a believer in living each day to the fullest, in turning lemons into lemon cakes. There’s no promise of tomorrow. So maybe that’s my word and slogan and resolution all in one fell swoop.

Live.

Today is all we have.

Take the lemons and bake a cake.

Whatever your word or resolutions may be, I wish you just enough resistance to make you stronger, and just enough rain to make rainbows. 

Happy New Year! 

It's 2013. 

Have you ever?

***



11 comments:

  1. Hope you and your family have a wonderful 2013 Dayle!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year, Dayle. Hope your year will be a good one. I don't pick a word usually but if I did it would probably be ORGANIZE. Yeah, that'd be a good one for me. Take care. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year, Dayle. I like the way you think and write so much and so enjoy visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your attitude. Live each and every moment to the fullest. I said that to myself when I was playing the Wii with Ethan today. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My word is calm. I need to stop worrying, worrying. Even though it's warranted, it's making me a mess. I love your last few paragraphs. Really spoke to me.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's all we can do, live each day and enjoy it as best we can.
    Merle....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've learned the hard way that tomorrow may be utterly different than we planned. I intend to stop living in the "some day", and that is part and parcel of my own motto for the year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your twist on the old saying ~ I would much prefer lemon cake to lemonade (** And I agree, it WILL be an amazing year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't borrow trouble, as they say. Hard to do, but very freeing. Hugs, my dear sister. Hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dayle, I love your mention of the eggs taking shape, each in their own way. You've such a gift of making us appreciate the ordinary!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle