Tuesday, January 8, 2013

In Tuesday's News


The rain returned in the night, its patter against the window a perfect backdrop for sleeping. This morning, puddles of water fill the ditches and the low places in the yard.


After a breakfast of homemade buttermilk biscuits, fried eggs and bacon, and muscadine jelly, I drive through a slow drizzle to the little store down the road and buy the first newspaper we’ve had in two days. (The Man is still back home, and he’s the official paper-boy around here.)

Back at the house, Daddy sits in his recliner and reads the latest news and such, before breaking out the puzzle section and laying it across Mother’s chair. It will be our treat, as always. Before long, his eyes close and he leans back, surrendering to his first nap of the day.

I can hear Mother in the kitchen. Daddy has requested pinto beans for supper and she is rifling through her deep and wide pantry to see what’s what. Believe me, there’s a lot going on in that pantry of hers. It’s a cross between a treasure hunt and a game of hide-and-seek every single time.

I’ve said it before, and I may say it often, so bear with me, but life moves slower here, with no TV, no Internet. I’m not complaining. I could be out in Cloud Nine watching any of my DIRECTV channels, just as if I were home. (Yes, Cloud Nine has been parked on the property since Thanksgiving; where else is a 75-pound bull terrier supposed to hang out?) But, truth be told, I’m not a big television watcher, even at home, and almost never in daytime hours. I don’t miss that part of my life at all, although I think Daddy would enjoy certain aspects of a television—one being how they can fill time, something he has plenty of these days.

The Christmas tree is still up, at Daddy’s request, but he finally decided last night that I could go ahead and put it away. I’m in no hurry.

Mother calls to me. She has found the pinto beans and is pouring them in a pot of water. Is there any certain thing I’d like to go with them for supper, other than skirt steak? I pour myself a cup of coffee, while she reheats hers in the microwave. I could roast some potatoes with garlic, I suggest. She nods. It’s a done deal.

In the warmth of the kitchen, we sit quietly and drink steaming coffee from blue and white cups. There will be skirt steak and pinto beans for supper, roasted garlic potatoes, and—who knows?—maybe even a pumpkin pie.

***


26 comments:

  1. This slowing, the separating of the chaff of all the unnecessary distractions that we deem necessary, from the precious kernel of the only thing eternal, the other people in our life, is really a blessing in disquise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So precious that you are able to spend this time with your parents. What a great privilege. And I know they are equally thrilled for you to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The gift of time, unsullied by distractions - to watch your dad, chat with your mum - to just be. I don't think there's anything I'd like more right now. Your appreciation of this gift shines through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this little glimpse into your life right now. And guess what? My daddy and I do crosswords together. He runs them off the internet now and sometimes we race! I love that little thing we have in common.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can "feel" that house and your settling in with your folks- the smells and sounds of a quieter life. God bless you and your parents, Dayle- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dayle, there is something of the "slowing down" that seems to magnify your sense of description--to the point I feel as though I am drinking the cup of steaming coffee in the blue and white cup as I ponder long and hard about one of my very favorite dishes, pinto beans--

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dianna, you are so sweet and so right. Slowing down causes our senses to come alive. We see, we hear, we smell, we taste, we feel so much more intensely than when surrounded by distractions.

      Delete
  7. Savour every moment.. life is so precious. Thankyou for sharing your words create a beautiful picture.
    Blessings to you
    NEll

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm. I can smell those beans now. But can I have mine with cornbread baked in an iron skillet (and in a sea of bacon grease) and some slaw?

    *drool*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surely ... and like biscuits in the mornings, Mother cooks cornbread for every meal thereafter. :) Woe is me.

      Delete
  9. How blessed you are enjoying the simple life.
    I bet your mom is cooks delish meals !
    Enjoy your days with them !!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What I read isn't just a matter of slowing down or quietness, it's something more that I can't quite put a word to. Words like comfort, family, or love might fit, but even they seem insufficient. I'll have to ponder what it is I read. All I know is that although you wouldn't have chosen this right now, there is a distinct beauty to it.

    Maybe it's because of the heart of the writer writing it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds very peaceful. I'm not a TV watcher either, though I would miss watching some HGTV or Food Network once in awhile. Do they have a DVD player where you all could watch movies? Are you doing a lot of reading?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No DVD player. We're just so last century around here. Books galore though, which makes me happy.

      Delete
  12. I had a typo in the comment above, so I will type slower. ;-) You're doing God's work, my sister. Taking care of others. Being a blessing and being blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Savor these precious moments, Dayle. Cherish every second with your sweet parents. You will never regret spending this time with them. I know you are aware of these very special days. Susan

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle