Friday, February 1, 2013

As Time Goes By ~ Scenes From A Blessed Life

The last few days at home found me enjoying the gift of time, that priceless commodity we use but can’t recycle. Once it’s gone, it’s gone, so I set out to make each day count.

One afternoon, The Man returned from the store and handed me this card. He said, “I know it’s a little early, but I couldn’t resist.” He’s a romantic soul and I love him dearly. And those puppies ... Lawdy mercy!

A few days later, while I sat at my desk typing this very post, I sensed someone behind me, so I turned and there stood The Man, bearing another card. Are you ready for some major cuteness?


Is this not the cutest thing and then some? The inside simply asked, “Will you be my valentine?” Who could resist that face?


Our first evening home, I opened the front door and witnessed the remains of the day. Magnificent!


My precious sugar plum adores spotting airplanes in the sky, so one day The Man and I drove to George Bush Intercontinental Airport for a little field trip. (It's close to home and we used to enjoy taking our daughter there when she was a little girl.)

On this day, the temperatures were wonderfully mild, although the wind was wild and crazy, and the sun failed to show up. But nothing dampened our spirits. For a grand total of $7.00 (for parking), we had hours of adventure, both inside and out. A day for the memory books.


I had dinner with a sweet friend one night. Mary and I have known each other, from afar, for many years, but last year we got to know each other on a more personal level. She makes me laugh, likes good food, and drinks coffee. That makes us perfect dinner companions.

White Flamingo is one of my favorite places to indulge. It’s one of those serendipitious neighborhood restaurants that wows you with their amazing cuisine. Too bad they were out of their divine lemon cake.


The weather turned cooler. I don't think it's going to stay. January has a way of keeping us guessing around here, but I love how one week may call for sandals, only to need an extra quilt the next.


Is this a warm welcome or what? Twin sister invited me over one evening for some girl talk and a whole lot of laughing. Her beautiful home was glowing.

All-in-all, it's been a wonderful few days at the homestead, filled with special moments and special people.

Lord willing, we will return to my parents' place in a few hours. There will be homemade biscuits every morning and cornbread in the evenings, a new scrapbook to fill up and an old book to revisit. And if I’m lucky, I'll win a game or two of Dominoes.

Until next time, sweet friends, may your days be warmed by the sun and your nights a peaceful retreat. Thanks for keeping me company. You're a blessing.








13 comments:

  1. Aw it is so good to be blessed with a man that loves you. How sweet. I think I have the same crock with the blue stripe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, what bliss. Dorothy was right: There's no place like home. The Man sure missed you, and so did your little field tripper.

    These truly are wonderful days for you. Thanks for counting your blessings. Inspiration with cream and sugar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelley, The Man is with me, except for a few days here and there, when I'm at my parents' home. We're sort of a package deal, I'd say. HA! I guess that makes the two cards in a few days even more noteworthy, huh? :)

      Delete
  3. The cards are darling...what a sweet, romantic guy you've got there! So glad you enjoyed your time at home. HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you're where you need to be, but I miss you being down the street. Glad you made time to laugh with me while you were home. Happy trails! P. S. Loved the cards!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Be safe on your way, Dayle. I'm so glad you had both restful and adventure filled days in your time home I loved what you said about not being able to recycle time. You used yours wisely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful post, Dayle. I love seeing your sweet family and friends. I see that you are off to your parents again. I am keeping all of you in my prayers. Blessings- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwww, Dayle. Thanks for sharing your homecoming. What lovely pictures you painted with words.

    Your hubs is the best. What a guy. Romantic, too! The photo of him kissing sweet pea's head was the best ever.

    And your sunset shot? Divine!

    Oh, Dayle, thanks for sharing and may your return trip to your parents be peaceful and the days ahead filled with beautiful moments. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very happy to keep you company from up here on the Island. Safe trip back to your parents' house and I wish you a good week with them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your life sounds divine. Like a storybook.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am for sure blessed, Brenda. It's been both challenging and satisfying being with my mom and dad while Dad is recovering from his fall. Although I miss home and my routines, I'm grateful to be able to spend these days with them.

      I trust you are getting stronger as you still battle your ankle. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  10. I couldn't resist those sweet Valentine's or a guy that gave them to me. How sweet of him. The time with your little sweetheart must had been the best! Those airplanes really catch her attention :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I admire how you still find peace every day in the midst of your family trials. From today on I will refer to watching the sunset from my porch as "witnessing the remains of the day".

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle