Tuesday, March 26, 2013

As the Seasons Change



As I type, morning has broken over my little woods. Yellow sunshine slants across the backyard fence, and pours into the windows, adding a layer of warmth to this cold day. For Southern gals, 38° is enough to make us shiver. It’s almost as if spring has not arrived, but just a week ago we soared to 90°. 

Transitions from one season to another have always fascinated me. They aren’t usually seamless; I dare say they aren’t meant to be. It seems the last week has found Old Man Winter attempting to hold on to the reins, making his final lap around the country, including here in Southeast Texas. 

Frankly, I’m enjoying it to the fullest. I know the heat of summer is just around the corner and the chill in the air gives me one more opportunity to wear a bulky sweater while I’m out and about, to come home and put something in a pot to simmer away on the stove.

Nippy nights are my favorite. As a fire crackles in the fireplace, I'll settle in with an old quilt across my lap, my hands wrapped around a mug of steaming chocolate, savoring the moment, for who can tell what tomorrow holds?

Until next time, sweet friends, may you be warmed and filled on this chilly night in March.

***


19 comments:

  1. Dayle, enjoy your time by the crackling fire holding a mug of fine hot chocolate...before long these colder temps will only be a sweet memory. I enjoy visiting your blog and I hope you have a Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still chilly here and we finished up our firewood a week and a half ago. Nice to get the family room cleaned after a season of fireplace use but now I am wearing a jacket in the house :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello dear Dayle...Loved your post today. If you like it chilly, you'd LOVE it here. ha haha I think I'll light a fire in the fireplace before long. It's all ready to go.

    Hope your Easter is blessed. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't get extremes of temperature, so we are moving gently into spring. We have rainy days and not-so-rainy days, and then we have lovely sunny days. Daffodils, hyacinths and tulips last a long time in the garden because they don't get over-heated or burnt by the sun. I like spring up here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a good idea to enjoy the nippy nights and a fire in the fireplace since summer will come soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love hot chocolate, the real homemade kind, not the packets. Yummm!
    We've had a very mild winter, unlike much of the U.S. It's supposed to be sunny and mid seventies Easter weekend. Perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear you, Dayle. I, too, enjoy the night in front of the fireplace but I am really tired of all this snow we have here now. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel exactly the same way! Summer and it's skillet heat is right around the corner, so I savor every cool breeze and night we are still getting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You make me miss the chill and fireplace.

    Almost. *wink*

    Happy week,
    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wise words,"for who can tell what tomorrow holds?".
    I always know I can find comforting thoughts or words of wisdom here.

    How is our dad and mom doing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine, Dad is doing well, overall, but still a painful struggle for him to walk much at all. We are praying he gets stronger each day. Mom is well, and is the strongest woman I know. Thanks for asking. ♥

      Delete
  11. Those photo albums hold many seasons, come and gone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yep, I think when spring finally comes to ATL (for real) it'll be a short one and then we'll be smoldering hot for 4 months! I don't mind the brisk mornings at all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can relate. I love sitting in my chair next to the fireplace. It's my "spot" in the family room, while the TV is on and we're all just hanging. There's a cozy feeling that you get when it's cold outside that just doesn't feel the same in summer.
    Love your writing.
    Leslie (Gwen Moss)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dale, what a beautifully written post!!!I love the cooler weather too. What a delight to stop by and have a fire to greet me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, just joined your blog and look forward to exploring it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dayle,
    We have had some cooler temps in the evening, lost a couple of my pepper plants last week. One week I'm wearing shorts and then days later, I'm putting on my favorite flannel shirt to enjoy the outdoors. I know the hot temps are right around the corner though.
    Have a wonderful Easter weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle