Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Hello, March


It's the time of year when the earth calls to me. Yesterday, under a cloudless Texas sky and golden sunshine, The Man and I got out in the backyard and busied ourselves with this and that and the other.

One order of business was pruning the pear tree that, yes, is already blooming, and, no, it isn't the right time to prune, but sometimes you have to break a few rules. 

I was delighted to bring some of the branches indoors, where I will enjoy both beauty and fragrance for as long as they last.







***


My yard has been terribly neglected the last few months. Even though there are reasons why (namely, we've hardly been home since November), bad is an understatement for how it looked yesterday morning. And getting started is always the hardest part (like taking that first step toward change). 

But that is precisely what I did. With assorted tools in hand, I went to work. Before long, I was in the zone, doing what I love.

To sift the cool, clean earth between my fingers, to smell its musky aroma, to rake away winter's debris, while hearing the steady trickle of the little pond ...

What can I say? Spring has cast its gentle spell once again.


Last year, I planted my first rosebush, and would you look at that? I do believe it has grown at least a foot since summer's end. I'm looking forward to a new season of buds and blooms, and bouquets in Mason jars.

There's still much to be done around here; plants to buy, flowers to plant, seeds to sow (yes!), mulch to scatter, but, with God's help, we'll get there, one task at a time.



To all of my blogging friends, still wrapped in winter's clutches, take heart. Here in Southeast Texas, we're welcoming in a new season, and it's headed your way.


***




19 comments:

  1. Yard work is always daunting after the winter. We have huge old growth cedar trees in the backyard and the neighbors have old fir trees...lots of yard debris clean up...but in the end, it's worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. That's why we do what we do, huh? It's worth it in the end.

      Delete
  2. Well, I will live vicariously through you until our snow melts. It is snowing even as I type-UGH- I love the smell of pear blossoms-xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. since it's not going to snow and keep us home from school, guess I'm ready for spring!! Is that an Apple Blossom in the bottle? Lovely!! Seems a bit early for the blossoms and the bees!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are seeing little signs of spring...and happy to see them. Love the thought of bringing in some branches to force, your's are so pretty.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the thoughts and pictures of spring. We're due for snow tomorrow, but I really felt spring in the air this morning. I know it's coming and I am so glad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dayle,
    Spring is my favorite time of year. It always seems like a fresh start on all things, new and old. I love it!
    We have some Bradford Pear trees in our front yard blooming, beautiful sight for sure.
    I'm with you, I'm sure enjoying this weather!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I can't wait for Spring to come to Ohio. My yard will work me to pieces. My backyard is horrible when the snow melts. Trash from all over the city I believes lands here. Still I cannot wait.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh... Spring!
    You got me when you said,"to smell its musky aroma". Dirt and grass, I'd wear that as a perfume!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I wish you were here to "zap" some beauty into our yard, Dayle! :) (Remembering the amazing transformation at Gayle's a while back.)
    Living in Phoenix, I really the season changes!

    I don't recall ever having seen a pear tree before ... your images are so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the promise of Spring! The blossoms you already have look beautiful.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  11. "The trumpet of prophecy, O wind. If winter comes, can spring be far behind?"

    Told you once that poetry was a simple pleasure.

    That's what I was thinking as I read this. We don't have budding on the pear trees yet, but rebel azaleas have been budding and dying all over south Georgia for weeks now. Oddball year it is. When we do have buds, I want to bring some inside so I can see them while I'm chained to my kitchen.

    I know that this has been a topsy turvy season for you. I pray that God fills the whole family with a LOT of spring, including spring in the steps for a dad whose steps are painful right now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! The simple branches of the pear tree look so elegant! You have a great touch with floral arranging. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. my redbud is budding today, too.
    just when i needed it. :)
    your little birdhouse is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Trees are budding out here in north Alabama - Spring can't be far behind! -- Jan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dayle, Nothing like some sprigs of blossoms to say Spring is here. I will get some of my neighbor's apples blossoms soon. I have flowering crab apples, a redbud and a weeping cherry for spring blooms. The reason I ask for the neighbors sprigs, They are just apple trees that they do not eat the fruit, wormy.:):) I loved your little birdhouse, so sweet. Enjoy your time in the garden. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  16. what you said on my blog Hahaa!! Summer's fury...that is right...help me...nobody understands me hate of the heat and dry spells. I have words for it now :)
    That is the time that I hibernate...not in the winter.
    So your blossoms are pretty in the house :)

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle