Monday, March 18, 2013

The Gifts of March


It’s been a blustery month. The March winds have put their stamp on our corner of the world—and on my hair. (I have yet to experience a good hair day.)

After church on Sunday, I came home, changed clothes, and stepped out into the backyard where a hundred gifts awaited. There was the sun, playing hide-and-seek with the clouds, the shadows moving across the lawn, like children at play. On the fence, the thermometer read a warm 81°, yet the calendar says it isn't even spring. 

Then, there were the cardinals hopping anxiously about in the branches of the red-tip bushes (that are now, alas, the height of trees). Every spring, the cardinals are back. While we aren't looking, they build a nest and manage to keep it hidden from us all season long. They're just so stinking cute.

But the gift that captured my attention more than any other was the unmistakable sound of music. As each gust of wind pushed through the trees, the little wind-chimes picked up the pace, moving in perfect rhythm with the breeze, transforming an ordinary yard into a symphony of sweet notes.

Until next time, sweet friends, enjoy the gifts that surround you, and thanks for keeping me company here.


***

Linking up with Mary at Little Red House



14 comments:

  1. Those are all truly gifts and I love them all!
    Happy Monday!!!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be quite some time before we see 81 in Chicago. It's interesting how the force of the wind can effect us differently in January or March.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my very favorite sounds for sure! Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also enjoy hearing the chimes - when the wind is a gently breeze.
    Back to rain and cooler temps here.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love your collage there... looks like he wind is blowing on through! we have been watching a pair of cardinals, too! enjoy spring, and here's hoping that maybe you can get a few good hair days in soon! (i so know how that feels!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful word picture you have painted here, Dayle. It is snowing hard here this morning (again)....but I did see a cardinal at the feeder today- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhhh, yes, dear Dayle. You are so right. Gifts surround us . All we have to do is look for them. They are there for our deepest delight. You found so many on Sunday. Thank you for sharing them. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. So nice that you stopped by! Your words and photos have me right there in your backyard with you. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lesson! I just got off the phone with DH's daughter, reminding her there's beauty everywhere if she'd just look around.
    Ya, like I'm such a great example (not!) ... and here you are!
    (Thank God, you are!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funny you should write this. I have been so immersed in the kitchen project that I hardly noticed the gifts of winter. The other day, when I stepped outside for something and hear the music of springtime, it really lifted me up. If I could do a cartwheel, and I can't, I would have done one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved your choice of words, " stepped out into the backyard where a hundred gifts awaited".
    Can't wait to read what you and your sister have written! Words really do have an effect on us, don't they? Love your words!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just reading this post, I will be your newest follower!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds lovely! We do need to be reminded to look around....there are gifts everywhere, aren't there?

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is just so perfectly lovely!!! I felt like I was standing there with you!! Such detailed descriptions :) I love this time of year so much!! ~ I also wanted to say thank you for your thoughtfulness and kind comments on my post about my grandpa's passing. It meant so much!! Blessings to you :)

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle