Thursday, April 18, 2013

As We Walk in Fields of Blue ~ A Day Trip in Search of Bluebonnets


Yesterday, adventure called, so all that were available climbed aboard Cloud Nine and off we went in search of Texas bluebonnets. The passenger list totaled seven adults, one very cute toddler, and a yellow bird.


The clouds gathered in pockets of gray as we left the city and drove west. The countryside rolled by in shades of green and brown, the conversation, a steady hum. Just outside the little community of Chappell Hill, we came upon a meadow of blue. We pulled off the road, exited the bus and leaned into a fierce wind that whipped us (and our hats) about. Across the spring green field, bluebonnets awaited.

Here are some photos from the day.


The daughter came in handy as a sidekick photographer. She used her imagination and the results of me and The Man were candid and light, perfect for the occasion. (If you notice, my hat is pulled way down. I got tired of chasing it.)



***

The cute toddler (my grand-niece, sugar plum, if you haven’t guessed by now) had her beloved nana and papa with her. Cameras were clicking all around.



The twin sister had her beautiful (and very pregnant) daughter with her. (Just a few weeks left before another grand-niece makes her appearance!)

The day was a family affair, a rarity for a middle-of-the-week happening. 

***

A little backstory, for those of you who have nothing better to do than read this wordy post (you are appreciated).

Whenever I hand my camera to The Man, he loves taking pictures ofwait for it—ME! And he especially enjoys the zoom feature, zooming in on me when I'm totally unaware that I am being photographed. I admit that in my younger years this little practice annoyed me to no end. I mean, who wants to be photographed when they aren't expecting it? The results were generally horrific.

But as I've aged, I find this little habit of his most endearing. Of all the beautiful things The Man could photograph, he chooses to focus on me, in all of my wideness and rolly-ness. If that isn't romantic, what is?


Yesterday, as the family set out doing their own thing among the bluebonnets, I strolled out away from the crowd and sat down. The field was alive with color, and peace. So much peace. I sat there and drank it all in, God's presence everywhere. And I happen to think that The Man created some magic with his sneaky photography work yesterday. In years to come, I know I will look at these images and remember the stillness of the moment.


As the troops made their way back to the bus, my daughter looked at me and said, "Mom, did we get a picture together?" I said, "I don't believe we did," so we stopped and I snapped this one. It is my favorite shot of the dayme and my amazing daughter standing in a meadow of blue.

I have rambled long enough, dear friends. Until next time, you have my permission to take a day off and go find the beauty around you.

***
Linking up with Mary at Little Red House, where the inspiration is all about "blue" today.



26 comments:

  1. What a beautiful time you had among the blue bonnets! I've never seen them before and they colour is gorgeous. The photos by you and your hubby are wonderful. Hubby did a great job! Such a fun day for you. Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, dear Dayle... this post is most sweet! Every one of the photos are so beautiful and warm that I feel like adding them to my family album :) Love abounds here for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Dear Lorraine, if you will email me your boot size, I will mail you boots and hat It'll be a Texas gift. You would love them, and look absolutely wonderful in both! I have a pair of red boots, as well. They came from DSW; the brown came from Payless ($50). Both are the most comfortable footwear I've ever worn. I practically sleep in them.

      Delete
  4. I love those shots of you taken by your man. Lovely. I posted a much wordier post than you today. Bittersweetness in it all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was a lovely day. Thanks for asking us to go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful bluebonnets... great family pics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What pretty pic, I love all the flowers. I have never seen fields of bluebonnets. You make we want to take a trip in search of them:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful day with treasured photos. You and your family look so happy and lovely. Take care and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This whole post just speaks JOY to me from beginning to end. I love the whole idea of the family taking an adventure to find the bluebonnets. I love the bluebonnets themselves. I love all the family shots.

    And as you can probably guess, my favorite part of all is the fact that your husband takes photos of you. That is just flat out LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a nice outing and the field of blue bonnets is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! How much FUN is that! You are your daughter look so much alike and I can see why your hubby likes to take photos of you...you are so photogenic! And could you have any cuter outfit? I dress kind of plain....I wish I had more style like you! The bluebonnets are beautiful....makes me miss Texas! Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really beautiful photos of a lovely family day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would have enjoyed being with y'all! Love all the pics and the bluebonnets. I read something yesterday that explained exactly how I feel. It said, "I want to get away somewhere. I don't know where, but I'll know when I get there." That field of bluebonnets looks pretty inviting right now. Thanks for sharing. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Soooo beautiful, Dayle.

    PS - And the blue bonnets make me sooo homesick. On my bucket list to see them one more time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dayle,
    There is nothing I like better than driving with no specific place in mind...just seeing the countryside roll by. I like the fact that your family accompanied you on your journey to find the blue bonnets and your husband could not have found a prettier subject than you to photograph either!

    ~Jean

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Dayle, that was a lovely post. All those bluebonnets! And all those happy people! Wonderful. Thanks so much for sharing your lovely, lovely afternoon. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love, love, love this!
    The colors, the family, the LOVE!

    How fun to spend such a memorable day with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow..the blue bonnet flowers are just amazing and gorgeous. The family outing is so precious, and I love candid shots..no posing, no worries, just free and natural.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is such a delightful post! The colors of those bluebonnets are amazing! Every photo will be a wonderful memory of this glorious family outing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. No one could be cuter in those boots and cowboy hat!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes I do agree. Wanting to aim the camera at his sweetie all the time, IS such an endearing quality. I really enjoyed learning about your family today. I didn't know you had a twin sister or such a sweet daughter. I consider it amazingly sweet that she wanted to take a photo with her Mom. I have two boys and that would not be a question they would ask haha...Love the comments about feeling peace in the meadow of blue. What a lovely post.
    Leslie (Gwen Moss)

    ReplyDelete
  22. What beautiful pictures in those bluebonnets! What a treasure! Life to the full! Melissa @ DaisyMaeBelle

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle