Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Potting Hutch Transformation ~ A Can of Spray Paint Works Wonders


The girl has been a very busy bee lately. I’ve not even been home from my parents’ place a month yet and already I’m knee-deep in projects—projects that, quite frankly, I’ve been planning to do, not for months, but more like years. Yeah, I’m slow like that. So far, only one is completed, so without further ado …

You’ve heard of a potting bench, well I guess you’d call this project a potting hutch. For the last few years, I’ve been looking for something to make over, something that would hold all of my gardening pots, and something that had an enclosed cabinet area to hide the ugly stuff. And it had to be the right price. Although the hutch sits under a breezeway that stretches from my backdoor to the garage, it is still exposed to moisture and heat and the occasional rain that blows in that direction, meaning, in time, it will probably fall apart, so I wasn't going to spend a lot of money. 

Several weeks ago, I found this little number at a local thrift shop. Gorgeous, huh? (wink, wink) The price was $40, but I got it for $30 and went right to work, using a can of Rust-Oleum “Eden” green spray paint.


I sprayed one coat and waited a day before spraying another one. I didn’t bother getting complete coverage in places, and didn't paint the undersides of the shelves, since I wanted to try and make it with only one can of paint. I don't think it matters, in the long-run. When the hutch was dry, I sprayed a protective finish over it and called it quits. I used only the round knobs from the original hardware.


The pics, for some reason, aren't showing the same color, but the color in this collage is more true. Overall, the results are exactly what I was hoping for, and my favorite thing is the sheaf of wheat markings on both doors, symbolizing a bountiful harvest. One can only hope.

Until next time, sweet friends, I’m checking off my to-do list, one project at a time.

***

Partying with the following party girls:




18 comments:

  1. That turned out great, Dayle. I really need to get at some home projects, too. Love the color and it is perfect for that spot- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. The color shouts spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's purdy, you did good! Great find and transformation...
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! Great idea... Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Believe it or not, my mom and were just talking about our desire to transform something into a potting "hutch" yesterday! Yours looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great...with spray paint??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect! Love the color. I really need to find something to use for a potting bench. I have been pinning lots of ideas. Think I will add yours too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Dayle, fabulous job! It looks great. Absolutely great. Good for you! Makes me want to get my own to do list out (and it's a long one) and plunge in. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I LOVE the color... so cheery!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the color! Great transformation! Life to the full! Melissa @ DaisyMaeBelle

    ReplyDelete
  11. That green in gorgeous and what a good way to re-use that piece!

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautiful! and i love green for a potting hutch.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's perfect...love the pretty green color!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your project came our great! I have a potting hutch too out in my shed, more room for storage! Your was a great find. Have a great week, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it is perfect for a potting hutch. Love the green.
    xo
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle