Monday, April 29, 2013

Some Things Take Time ~ The Painted Table and Other Time Related Tales

We live in a society that wants everything now. We buy instant mashed potatoes, frozen pizza, and biscuits in a can. Automatic tellers dispense cash without us ever leaving our vehicles. We dash e-mail messages through cyberspace in seconds and read the world’s news on our high-speed computers. We depend on five-second sound-bites to summarize speeches and expect our dry-cleaning to be done overnight. If that isn’t enough, HGTV offers backyard transformations, all within a 30-minute show. We are accustomed to quick resolutions.

At times, I’m right there among the guilty—bellyaching about it taking too long to get my hamburger at the fast-food joint, too long for a package to arrive in the mail, too long for the paint to dry. And why on earth hasn't so-and-so responded to the text message I sent three minutes ago?

Yeah, I can get a little cray cray like that. Shame on me. And I'm probably not the only one wondering if this post will ever end.

But like it or not, some things take time. I’ve written often about patience, and I won’t belabor the point here. Instead, let me share with you a few images of things that have come about recently, only through waiting.

***

This table and chairs have been with me for 20+ years. It was not an expensive set, and is not solid wood. Twenty years of hard use had taken a toll on it. A change was in order. In this case, I decided to go with paint.

I attempted to (somewhat) abide by the rules of the painting gurus and took my sweet time (something like a month) in the garage getting it done. It shouldn't have taken that long, but one thing led to another, requiring patience, patience.

I have no idea if this new look will hold up, but if not the table and chairs have certainly been worth the money spent 20 years ago, and I'm loving the drastic change. (In case you're wondering, those chairs are not black but dark walnut. Thanks to a senior moment, I bought the color quite by accident, but ended up liking it.)


*** 

It took three years of waiting to get these giant iris blooms. The year I planted them, they produced no blooms. The second year brought a total of one. I got so impatient I considered pulling them up. I'm glad I didn't.

Last year, my newly planted rose bush yielded two blooms. Since then, it's grown a foot or two, and, if you have a sharp eye, you can see that one bud is already opening, and three more are in the wings. On the right, my yellow lantana is full of promise, after being cut to the ground during the winter season. Waiting brings rewards.

Until next time, sweet friends, press on and don't give up when the waiting gets long. 

***

I'm joining the lovely Cindy for her Amaze Me Monday series,
the lovely Marty for her Inspire Me Tuesday series,
and the lovely Anita (and friends) for The Scoop.


24 comments:

  1. Love what the paint did to the furniture! I do thin like that all the time...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post. I love the "new" table and chairs. And all of the plantings. You made me laugh about waiting for a reply to an email just sent. I've done that more than once then have to remind myself that it's a good thing when someone isn't sitting right on top of their computer ALL of the time. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your patience paid off Dayle, your table and chairs look GREAT! Love the colors you chose! Your Iris are gorgeous, great photos. I love lantana in the garden, they do so well here, our summers are so hot and dry. Thanks sooo much for sharing at Amaze Me Monday...
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sure have spoken the truth here....hurry, hurry, wait, wait...that describes us all most of the time sad to say. Love the table set. I have a similar one, what a change that would make! Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The chairs look fabulous in that dark walnut! WOW! I love the whole set...it doesn't even look like the same furniture! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your table. I have those same chairs but with a oak parsons-type dining room table. My table needs a facelift too. I think I bought it in 1982 along with the china cabinet. I don't want to replace simply because many good meals and family sat around that table and I am way too senti"mental" for my own good.

    I'm feeling awfully inspired to get some paint, and have at it...taking my time of course. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too, needed this today. I have so much on my to do list and you know, none of it is life threatening to get done. So, I may just slow down a bit.

    Thanks,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful transformation with the table and chairs! It looks great!

    aww... how often the waiting gets long :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish you could move in and redo my entire house. I am so uncreative, but I appreciate beauty and you master it. Blessings to you. Thanks for enjoying life and sharing yours with us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have a set almost identical to yours. Bought the table and chairs at a raw oak shop where you finish it yourself back in 1980. I like what you did!! I just don't know if I have the energy to sand it down and repaint it. I want to do all of it white. Maybe this summer . . . . . You have inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! You did it! It's the same exact set I have. I love mine. Even with the dings in the paint it's still head and shoulders above what it looked like before. Yours is beautiful. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you use a brush or spray paint?

      Delete
    2. Renee, I did a little of both. The chairs and table pedestal are done with several thin coats of spray-paint (easy, peasy ... I didn't even sand or prime them, and the chairs were distressed lightly around the edges.). The top is sanded, primed with three coats, and rolled with a foam roller, using a custom color in semi-gloss, probably three coats, as well. I finished all of the set with a spray-on polyacrylic.

      Delete
  12. I love the change and yes, I wait forever almost all the time. lol Great redo, it looks amazing. I would love for you to link up to Inspire Me today. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice job, Dayle. WOW WOW WOW You did a really great job. It's quite a transformation. And the iris are so beautiful, as well as the other flowers, too. Wowwwwwwww. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Taking old thing and repurposing them is something I like doing too! I'm always looking on Craig's List for little projects. Your table and chairs look wonderful it must feel very rewarding to know you've done such a nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My daughter is re-purposing furniture like this now and loves doing it. Your set turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your table and chairs look great! Life to the full! Melissa @ DaisyMaeBelle

    ReplyDelete
  17. Patience doesn't always come easy. Some good reminders here!
    I like the new look of your table and chairs - I'm so glad you didn't go for the shabby-chic look.

    ReplyDelete
  18. too often i don't do something because i know it is going to take TOO LONG! and then, not often enough, i decide it might be worth it :) i LOVE your table make-over!

    and the iris? still missing the ones i planted in MA sooooo long ago... beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for linking up, this is such a great project. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the table. And the flowers are beautiful. I will be glad when spring gets here. We thought it was here but we are in a winter advisory for tomorrow. Spring just doesn't to come to Iowa this year.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle