Friday, April 26, 2013

What I Haven't Told You

I have drifted far away from my familiar routines and easy days. It’s been almost a month and I still haven’t told you about my latest venture, but since The Man encouraged me to share the news, here goes. If you’re interested, you might grab a cup of coffee and be seated. This could take awhile.

For the last decade, I’ve hemmed and hawed about becoming a dealer at my favorite antique mall, getting more serious about it in the last couple of years. The Antique Gallery sits just a few miles from where I live. I shop there often, and my home is dotted with various finds through the years. I knew it would be the perfect location, should I ever take the plunge of setting up my own booth.

The way it works, you sign a six-month lease, pay monthly rent on your space, furnish it with whatever (there are stipulations as to what you can sell, depending on which end of the mall your booth is located). You’re asked to keep your booth fresh and maintained, but you don’t have to work the floor, or even be onsite when you're not stocking or tweaking your booth. A percentage is taken out of your profits for overhead and onsite staff, which makes it nice not having to, physically, be there. With my lifestyle, it’s the only setup that would work for me.

While The Man and I were away from home, helping take care of my dad following his accident, I called the mall's manager and asked to be put on a waiting list for available space. I still wasn't sure this was going to happen, but better to be prepared.

On our return home, The Man and I discussed (yet again) this little notion of mine and, after a bit of wrangling, I got a weak thumbs-up (that's better than a thumbs-down). He would be my financier, but it would be up to me to run with it and make it work.

And so I ran with it, and will attempt to make it work for the next six months. I admit my reason for not sharing the news before was perhaps one of fear. I mean ... pssst ... what if I fail? But how will I ever know if I don't try? The best I can do is give it my all and see how it goes. If I'm not pleased with the outcome, or if it becomes overwhelming (having a booth is a constant work-in-progress, with endless tweaking), I already have a plan: I will put on a big sale and call it quits. 

Speaking of sales, I’ve already sold a few items (Woo-Hoo!) and am hoping the summer months will see an increase in traffic. (I was told by the manager that spring is their slowest season. Time will tell.)


Along with a hodgepodge of inventory, I'm also stocking some of my sweet mother’s hand-quilted baby quilts. (She wouldn't part with her favorites, but I talked her out of a few.)



These adorable quilts make perfect gifts for new moms, and perfect pallets for wee ones. I assure you they were sewn with loads of love and care.

The Antique Gallery is located in Spring, Texas, off Hwy 2920, just west of IH-45. If you’re going west on 2920, turn right on Spring Towne Drive (between Mr. Transmission and Amegy Bank; it's easy to miss). You will see the warehouse building down on the left. My booth is W-7, against the south wall, along the outer edge. If you’re familiar with Old Town Spring, The Antique Gallery is just a skip and a hop away.

So there you have it, dear friends. I am now a business owner—sort of. And that leads me to my next topic. As a dealer of vintage and antique items, I am not only selling but buying, as well. That means, if you're local, I’d love to sift through your grandmother’s attic or grandfather’s tool shed.

As a dealer, I purchase things with the idea of reselling and making a profit, so I can’t offer what you might get in a retail setting, but if you’re interested, perhaps we could strike a few deals. I stock things from various eras but am mainly looking for pieces—big or smallproduced prior to 1970, preferably pre-1960.

If you’d like to know what I’m looking for, in general, and a few specific items, please email me. A link to my email address is located on my blogger profile page, and for my FB friends, my email address is located under the About tab.

This post has been rambling, I know, but I tend to lean that way. (Thanks for putting up with me.) Now you know why I've been a bit scarce around blogland in recent weeks, and I can't say that won't continue, as I'm enjoying the thrill of the hunt and also enjoying doing a few make-over projects for my booth. However, I don't plan to give up blogging. I still love it and will be posting, and visiting you all, as time allows.


Until next time, dear friends, whatever your hands find to do, do it with all your might. And, as always, thanks for stopping by and keeping me company.


***



21 comments:

  1. I wish you all the best with this venture, Dayle. There's no reason it shouldn't be successful and fun together. Just think of the interesting people you'll meet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dayle - I think you'll be a success - You strike me as someone who doesn't easily give up.

    It's funny that you posted this today. My daughter has been talking about wanting to do something along these lines, but with items she refurbishes. I'm going to send her over here to read this.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it odd that you weren't "around" as much as you were.
    Congratulations! This is such an outlet for your creativity and style.

    Blessings to you and to everyone in .your family

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great! I'm sure you'll do well. Just don't give up the blog. ;)

    Our antique malls work the same way around here. We have quite a few, but I never visit them. I don't really know why. Maybe I'll peek in a few tomorrow just to see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best wishes for great success with your big venture, which is also an adventure. Those quilts are darling, tell your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How very exciting this is! How I wished I lived close enough to come and see it all. I wish you all the success in the world. I am sure you will do well! Blessings to you on this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you have great success in this new, (and fun!), business venture!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I just know you are going to enjoy yourself and be a success. To me, the best antiques and vintage stuff evokes a feeling of family. Since you're all about family, you have an easy eye!

    I confess that I have thought periodically about doing the same thing. My parents did it for years until Dad got sick. I just don't have the overhead to start yet.

    I hope you show your booth from time to time or share the treasures you have found. I love to read posts like that, even if I can't get to the shop physically.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations, my friend! I'm sure you'll do well! If I ever get near there, I will definitely stop in!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations!!!!! I am sure you will do very well. Love that quilt. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Dayle, that was WONDERFUL news!

    How exciting to have your own booth in an antique mall. Oh JOY! I'd LOVE to do that but there's nothing like that around here.

    Oh, I think your baby quilts are darling. GOOD LUCK.

    I'm betting this is going to be a very successful venture! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's GREAT!!! Congratulations, you'll have fun and I hope the very best for you!!!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations, Dayle, that sounds like a wonderful endeavor! I wish you all the best, and can't wait to hear more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dayle I'm so excited for you. Good for you that you pursued this idea, I can really see you enjoying the different aspects of having an antique booth. I only wish I was closer so I could stop by and do some shopping! :)
    Leslie (aka Gwen Moss)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dayle, what a exciting new avenue to follow. I know that you will do great, you have the drive, and the talent to succeed.

    Now if I was in the US, I would definitely drop by, I see a few items that I would treasure.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  16. How wonderful for you! Congratulations and good luck. It looks like you have some lovely things.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Best of luck with this new endeavour. I hope it is successful and great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh how exciting! I wish you the very best with your endevor. I just know you will do wonderfully! Enjoy yourself! Kit

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dayle,
    I had a booth in an antique mall from 2004 to the time it closed in 2009. I loved it even though it was a 50 mile round trip for me to get to and from my booth. We did have to work the floor once a month and we could work an 8 hour day or two 4 hour days (which I did so I could tweak my booth at the same time!).I can't say I made a fortune (ha!) but I made many friends with other dealers and paid my rent with a little left over to buy more goodies. I know you are going to have a ball with your new found love of buying and selling "stuff!"

    ~Jean

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your booth looks great!

    Im sure you will do awesome! =)

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle