Thursday, May 2, 2013

And so we go ...


Yesterday morning, The Man and I boarded Cloud Nine and took to the road. The next few weeks, Lord willing, will find us roaming about in sundry places—north, east, southseeing what the month of May has to offer. 

Some destinations are still unknown; we’ll see where the road leads us. Traveling is an opportunity we never take for granted, one for which we are always grateful. We both know how suddenly such things can come to an end.

As many of you know, just last year, the day after we returned from Branson in November, my dad fell from the roof and suffered an open pylon break in his ankle. The Man and I spent the next three months camped out on my parents’ property, helping in whatever ways we could, while praying for Daddy’s optimal recovery. As with most things in life, we didn’t know how it would turn out; maybe we had made our last big trip. But we are most thankful to thousands of friends like you who prayed for Daddy (and for us), and to God for showing us unmerited favor. Daddy's recovery has been on-track, and he has been walking (albeit still slow and painful) since the surgeon gave him the go-ahead the first week of March. We returned home the same month, where things have been busy ever since.

When we talked about taking an extended trip in May, we wanted to make sure my parents were OK with it. Even though we would come home at a moment’s notice, if needed, we wanted them to feel comfortable for us to be so far away. In their usual cheerful and wonderful way, they encouraged us to go, to explore, to enjoy our time together, to make the most of this opportunity, and so we go.

We drove over Monday evening and enjoyed a home-cooked meal together, followed by three games of Dominoes  As we were about to leave, I set up the camera and squeezed into this photo, just in time to produce big smiles.

Speaking of smiles, I kept sugar plum on Tuesday. I will miss her something fierce, but she promised not to “get big” while I’m gone (oh, if only). I am also hoping to do the Skype thing this time.

Before we left home, my sweet daughter did what she does best—she made my heart sing when she reached down and plucked this tiny flower out of a patch of clover in the front yard and handed it to me. She used to do that as a little girl and it always made my day. I snapped this photo with my phone’s camera and it couldn’t look more perfect in my eyes. It reminded me that the most ordinary things can become quite spectacular whenever we take time to look closely at them.

And that’s what I intend to do during our travels in May. I will look closely at the small and ordinary things, because, as someone once said, they really are the big things.

Until next time, sweet friends, thanks for keeping me company here. I may be scarce during the next few weeks, but I will share postcards from the road should you be inclined to stop by again.

***




12 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful, wonderful time! How I would love to do something like this...HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun! I'll look forward to your postcards from the road.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Family is EVERYTHING and you're very blessed with your supporting family!! Have fun and God Speed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That photo deserves to be framed! I've always thought that God made tiny flowers (mostly what "we" call weeds) for little children. Whenever my little grandchildren bring me one I put it in water and it seems to stay for the longest time. Mine can find beauty in the tiniest of things. Blessings on your trip. My hubby has always wanted to do that. Since he will be retiring in the next year I am seriously considering it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so love the look of your travel home. Have a great trip. I can't wait to see where the road and the bends in it take you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The name Cloud Nine sounds very appropriate and it looks spacious. I look forward to hearing about your travels in May.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely post Dayle. I'm so happy for you and your hubby, it sounds so dreamy to me to simply take off like that. I know you'll keep us posted and I look forward to hearing about those ordinary, little things that will be so special when shared by you.
    have safe travels,
    Leslie (Gwen Moss)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Dayle, sounds like fun, fun, fun. And well deserved.

    The photos are lovely, especially the one of the little flower. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing and godspeed, my friend. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so happy for you, Dayle. I hope you enjoy your meanderings.
    Hugs,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a wonderful trip, Dayle. There's something about the open road that has always attracted me - a footloose holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great Moms become the best Grandmas.
    Happy Mother's Day to you and your mom!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle