Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Before we go ... the ocean called

Before turning Cloud Nine toward home, the ramblers rambled on down to the beautiful Perdido Key area for a few days. We came here with our daughter about 13 years ago, so lots of memories.
 
Truth is I’ve been homesick for awhile now (concerned about this and that and the other, and missing people), but I’ve hung in there and I’m glad I did.

 
There’s nothing quite like the sounds and sights of the ocean to calm the mind and refresh the spirit. The sea brings with it a steadfastness that can be counted on, just like the faithfulness of its Creator. It’s one of those eternal truths. No matter what month, what day, what year you travel to the ocean, you know it will be there, pounding, crashing, emptying its bounty onto the shore. I’ve spent my life loving the beach, and I never leave it feeling quite the same.

 
As I write, the sun is sinking in an amber glow behind a band of pine trees, leaving the campground shady and still. The Man has two steaks sizzling on the grill and I can smell their goodness through the screened window. Later, there'll be coffee and a slice of key lime pie (being reasonable can come later), and, who knows? If I get inspired I may just scrapbook my way into the night; I'm only a year behind.
 
Until next time, dear friends, my thoughts and prayers are with the people of Moore, Oklahoma, as I'm sure yours are. I have wept while watching the devastation that goes beyond comprehension. I'm praying for God's comfort and strength to lift up those whose lives have been wrecked, and for those who are offering time and energy to bring recovery and restoration.
 
***
 

 

9 comments:

  1. Hi Dayle...So happy you are finding peace and relaxation on your trip. Bet that steak and the key lime pie tasted great.

    Yes, we are all sad for the people of Oklahoma. How very brutal Mother Nature can be.

    Take care and stay safe. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ironically, you are the second person to mention Perdito Bay to me in the past 24 hours. Another online friend (not blogger but online) is heading there right now too. I hadn't thought of that place in years since a best friend used to vacation there. It was on my list back then, fell off it, and is now back on.

    I love the way you write, you know. You just reach into my heart and relax me. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you went to the beach before heading home. I love listening to and watch the waves roll in and out. It's peaceful and I can sit there thinking of absolutely nothing.

    Love you, dear friend. Praying for safe traveling as you and Stan head back home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Debbie, you have such a special way with words that calm and refresh my spirit.

    I understand being homesick. It's a real thing.
    Something about, "No Place Like Home".

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am drawn to the ocean! I love your beautiful photos! Look at how cute you look on the beach....I always look like a bum! heehee! Enjoy your travels! Be safe my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't agree more. There is just something about the beach that calms, soothes, and restores. I always find it the place I want to head when I am need of these things. Glad you've enjoyed your time away. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. I appreciate it so. HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two of nature's marvels have the capability of offering me peace and comfort. The sea and the mountains. The soft breezes, waves touching the shore and the scent of ocean relax my mind and soul. Majestic mountains and rugged edges, glorious sunsets and mountain air calm my restless heart and quiet my mind. So nice that your trip has been so relaxing.
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  8. So are you back yet? Looks like you had another marvelous trip. We just travel back and forth to the ranch. It works for us, but your trips look so romantic. :) Glad you are back or coming back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not home yet, Anita. Plan to head that way by the weekend.

      Delete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle