Monday, May 13, 2013

Postcards from the Road ~ Charleston, South Carolina


Well, dear friends, I admit I’ve been a failure as a travel blogger this time around. Condé Nast will not be sending me a check, that is clear. Not that they ever do, but you get my drift.


Truth is, we’ve not done much since I last posted from Auburn, Alabama. After leaving Auburn, we drove to Charleston, South Carolina (neither of us had ever been anywhere in South Carolina) and that’s where we currently are as I write. Charleston is an old, charming Southern city (founded in 1670), lots of character and very narrow streets  (some cobblestone) in the historic downtown area.


The Man has only today felt significantly better, so that’s a blessing, and thank you for your prayers. We went out exploring on our own, as we generally do, but plan to take a horse-carriage tour tomorrow, as it seems to be the thing to do.

Here are some highlights from today, if you’re interested:


Twin sister reminded me of a popular restaurant here called Husk, whose executive chef, Sean Brock, has won a James Beard Award and competed on Food Network. Husk has been cited in many food magazines and I wanted to see what the hoopla was all about. In short, Husk is a celebration of Southern ingredients, with a modern twist. 


We preferred dinner reservations, but, hello, those are not available until June, if that tells you anything about the popularity of Husk, so we made reservations for lunch today. (Pardon the hair ... the wind was blowing every which way.)


We arrived a few minutes early and enjoyed sitting on the shady porch. Once seated, service was quick and efficient, and the food was divine!

Here’s what we had, text taken directly from the menu:

I had the "South Carolina Shrimp and Geechie Boy Grits with Smoked Tomato, Peppers and Onions, Sweet Peas, Smoky Sausage, 63° Egg." (I couldn't resist taking a photo, as you can see. Yum-O!)

I didn't take a photo of The Man's man plate, but, in addition to an arugula salad, he had the "North Carolina Cornmeal Dusted Catfish with Fried Cabbage, Smoky Beans and Appalachian Tomato Gravy."

To read more about this restaurant, visit their website here.

***

After lunch, we boarded a boat named Carolina Queen (with a real paddlewheel) and took a 90-minute tour of the Charleston Harbor. Very relaxing way to spend the afternoon.

Tomorrow, Lord willing, we will spend our final day in Charleston. Our original plan was to go to Myrtle Beach from here, but after spending some time on the Internet, reading pros and cons, the cons have won. Nothing against Myrtle Beach, or its inhabitants, but if I’m going to the beach I may as well go to ones that I know and love and have experienced many times. I’m a bit of a stickler when it comes to my beaches.

So … from here, we will probably head toward Atlanta, where we will get our first glimpse at the Atlanta Braves’ Turner Field. As was planned since The Man’s retirement in 2008, the MLB parks are being checked off the list, one by one. I think we’re only about five shy of seeing them all!

I’m happy for him and am glad I enjoy baseball. Of course, even if I didn’t, just being with him, seeing him realize a lifelong dream, has been a joy and a blessing.

Our plans after Atlanta are still sketchy, but the girl is getting homesick (believe it or not), so we may well start the homeward stretch. Time will tell.

Until next time, thanks for keeping me company, as always.

***


16 comments:

  1. That lunch looks amazing - I love to try good restaurants like that and they don't usually dissapoint :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Shrimp lunch looks amazing -- anything with shrimp is out of this world!! So much to do and see in Atlanta. Not sure if the lazier show has started up yet - maybe on weekends - out at Stone Mountain. The Botanical Gardens are wonderful in midtown and the Aquarium is great!! As is Zoo Atlanta. You can also segway through downtown Atlanta. What ever strikes your fancy!! Lots of museums and gardens. Tour old homes in Roswell.
    Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips, Suzan. We actually plan to stay in Stone Mountain. Sounds like a neat place.

      Delete
  3. You are in one of my favorite cities! I hope Stan the Man continues to improve so you really get to enjoy it. We've done the carriage ride more than once and liked it. (One month later, and the smell is pretty bad, though. Charleston tends to smell kind of horsey.)

    Sorry to say, but I agree about Myrtle Beach. I hope you get to see the Braves... win. ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah ... I smelled some of the horsiness yesterday. :) Reminded me a little of Mackinac Island, only there you have no choice but to be transported by horses ... or bikes ... or on foot. :)

      Delete
  4. Charleston and Savannah are two of my favourite cities. I'm glad you enjoyed Charleston so much. I love being taken along on your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful city...for charm and great food! We LOVE Myrtle Beach for so many reasons! Not the best shell seeking beach but great places to stay and amazing restaurants! Love shopping at Tanger Outlet, too! I hope your trip continues to be nice! Be safe! Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, Dayle, that restaurant sounded divine. The dish you showed looked yummified and made me wish for lunch. ha haha Thanks for all your darling photos. I probably will never get to South Carolina so it's nice to see it through your eyes.

    Thanks for your visits and comments to my blog, too. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always such fun to enjoy the sights with you guys! Still hoping Cloud Nine heads my way someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sent you an email! You're in my neck of the woods!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoy "riding along" on these trips with you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so enjoy traveling with you!
    Smiles, Dottie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that is some lunch, and I am now hungry...and I just had dinner.

    What a great trip you are on.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've always wanted to visit charleston. Hopefully someday. You look really pretty in those photos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG, but I've fallen so far behind; pardon, but I'm going to pull up a mug of java and catch up with Cloud 9 for a while!
    First, I'm soooo excited to learn your hubby is feeling better!
    My only memory of Charleston (ca. '98) wasn't so lovely. At the time, I was co-habituating with "Mr. Wrong" ... but trying all the same. We decided to take the horse-drawn carriage ride, and while waiting I decided to get out and pet the horse ... and talk to it. Well, "Mr. Wrong" was absolutely humiliated (so he claimed) that I was talking to the horse; we wound up not speaking the rest of the night. Thank God for "whacks up the side of the head", eh?
    If I ever get back, you bet I'll probably find a horse to talk to again ... and follow your footsteps to that yummy-sounding restaurant!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle