Monday, June 3, 2013

A Quiet Mind ~ Scenes from A Blessed Life

Even though I’m retired, I occasionally cram too much busyness into my life. It seems to run in cycles. I do well for a few months—taking my sweet time, engaging in simple activities, pushing distractions away as quickly as they appear. And then the cycle breaks and there I am again, frantically rushing here and there, doing and going, or just thinking too hard about the things I need to do that aren’t getting done. That activity alone can quickly send me a half-mile down Loony Lane.

After returning from our extended trip, I noticed I was crossing the line into the frantic pace again, so the last few days have found me making a conscious effort to not let things get out of control. In the middle of all the noise, I’m deliberately finding the quiet, seeing the simple, breathing a prayer, savoring the moment.






Life is a fragile mystery, waiting to be unwrapped and unfolded. And it’s been my experience that nothing good comes from hurrying the process. A rose cannot be rushed to bloom, but each stage has its own rhythm, slow and easy.

Days of contentment are often those spent in the slow lane, filled with simple things:

  • Early morning coffee outdoors. 
  • A stroll through the neighborhood. 
  • Gathering flowers in the afternoon. 
  • The hum of the washer and dryer in the evenings, then folding warm laundry into neat piles.


All of these activities quiet my mind, but I have to be careful not to allow distractions. That is the secret.

Until next time, sweet friends, I’m reminded of the words of Socrates: “Beware the barrenness of a busy life.” May you find the quiet in your days.

***

Linking up with 
Elaine for Sunny Simple Mondays
Mary for Mosaic Monday






11 comments:

  1. I'm on Loony Lane with you, needing to break away from things that don't matter and focus on those things that do.Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so right. There are so many things we need to focus on the things that mean the most to us and forget all of the busyness!! I'm afraid most of us are guilty of doing the busy thing.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that quote certainly hits home. Last week and this week were/are extremely busy. I'm counting down the days until I can enjoy the moments once again. But first I have to finish this week of swim practice/meets, VBS, and moving my boy to his new home. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this...longing for some quiet uneventful time... : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all the pictures! Having fibromyalgia MAKES me have quiet, rest and brain fog which causes me to forget a lot of things. I've learned to keep a pen and pad close by so I don't forget things I need to remember. My problem is on the "good days" I try to cram everything into that day because I know the next day I may be in bed. Then it's back to the pen and pad to write down things I need to do. LOL
    I said all of that to say this: EVERYONE needs time to slow down, enjoy the moments and things that matter because one day you may be forced to. Love you, Sissy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great point, sweet Sissy. And you made me laugh, in spite of it all. I can so relate. My fibro isn't full-blown but it does have an impact on my life some days. I love you, too!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful Dayle...I agree with your every word...sometimes we need to remind ourselves to slow down...I love the words of Socrates.
    Have a lovely day.
    Catherine xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What precious photos! You are so right. I feel like I have to make up for the last 2 months, but I will listen to you and slow it down a bit. :) Kit

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dayle, what a beautiful read. The photos really captured the sensation of the joyful moments in your day. How sweet they were, I remember those tiny pieces of cut-up sandwiches and the little fish in the pail. Thank you for slowing me down and for being such a peaceful place today.
    Leslie (aka gwen moss)

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle